Hotmail's reaction to Gmail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by assassingod
    Which is quite unfortunate because i'm desperately waiting for someone to ask my e-mail address and I tell them it's a Gmail and they are like "omg you're so cool and lucky"
    Don't have very many friends then eh Steve
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by transverse
      THe coding in it is all displayed by JavaScript, making it tons faster.
      That wouldnt make it "tons faster", it could even make it slower....

Comment

Originally posted by merk
        That wouldnt make it "tons faster", it could even make it slower....
        Amazingly enough, once you load all the Javascript(once when you login for the first time) switching messages, or going back to the inbox it is between nearly instantaneous and instantaneous.
        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

The reason it is faster is the whole interface is preloaded. When you log in you are loading the inbox, send email etc everything all at once. The system then just updates for new emails when you click inbox and gets the small amount of data and sends it to the already loaded HTML that is already there. It makes it a *lot* faster.
          Christopher Padfield
          Web Based Helpdesk
          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
            The reason it is faster is the whole interface is preloaded. When you log in you are loading the inbox, send email etc everything all at once. The system then just updates for new emails when you click inbox and gets the small amount of data and sends it to the already loaded HTML that is already there. It makes it a *lot* faster.
            Fair enough, if its all preloaded it makes sense

Comment

gmail has been working out for me way better than hotmail ever has

Comment

Recently started using Gmail and it is freakin' awesome.

I love it because:

1) Emailing images is 1,000,000 times faster than on Yahoo mail. No more timeouts!

2) The way it *automatically* groups "conversations" - multiple emails between you and another person. At first I wasn't sure what was going on, but after 15 seconds or so it seems to make lots of sense

Stachel

Comment

Anyone want to send me a gmail invite?

Comment

I received mine from someone who is buying one of my custom knives, and he said that after a week or so I would get an invite to invite someone else, but I haven't received one yet.

Does anyone know what triggers a new gmail user to get an invite-to-invite others?

Stachel

Comment

I think they are keeping that a secret to add to the mysteriousness of gmail and to keep people talking about it...

If they said flat out "in one week you will be able to invite", then a week came and you're like "uh, cool, i guess".

But if they don't say anything, and all of a sudden one day you get the invite notice, it's like "WOW, JACKPOT! I AM GOING TO TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT THIS", and then you open your windows and scream at the top of your lungs "GMAIL IS MY GOD!!!"

So really, they get more word-of-mouth advertising out of it.

Comment

Um, well no. The referall system is a way allow google to increase the number of gmail accounts under a controlled fashion, without opening it up to general public completly. The moment they do a full release, every single news company will report it; they have no problem getting everyone to find out about it; in fact that *is* the problem at the moment.
                        Christopher Padfield
                        Web Based Helpdesk
                        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Um, well, you didn't quite comprehend what I wrote.

I was not commenting on why it is by invite only. I fully understand that concept and the mayhem that would ensue if they opened the flood gates to the public at once.

I was commenting on why the formula they use for the invite "system" as far as who gets to invite, how long it takes until you're able to invite, etc is a secret.

Comment

did anyone also notice how hotmail\yahoo mail bounce back (filter) GMail invitations O_o

Comment

Man, I am hooked on Gmail, I have been using it since the start, I don't even know my hotmail email address no more LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Stachel
                                I received mine from someone who is buying one of my custom knives, and he said that after a week or so I would get an invite to invite someone else, but I haven't received one yet.

Does anyone know what triggers a new gmail user to get an invite-to-invite others?

Stachel
                                No one knows. Someone said that they never recieved invitations except when using the HTTPS version of GMail so I switched to that and a few days later I recieved one invite(already used it, sorry) and none since.

No idea if that's the case but I already invited my buddy so I'm happy.
                                TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X