No announcement yet.

Hotmail's reaction to Gmail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that memo is true, the time frame is 12 months, and depends if ad revenue covers the cost. Me thinks those 80 million accounts might be more like 40 million by the end of next year.
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by BeatYou
      Yea they are definatly feeling the heat. And after expieriencing GMail myself, I say they should, because it's going to blow them out of the water.
      Originally posted by Vile
      Not just them, but pretty much everyone else as well. (Including Y!)
      I have a GMail account and I disagree. They are pretty evenly matched but I'm a bit upset that MSN didn't chose to match GMail in terms of web space.

Originally posted by Dean C
      I'm surprised MS hasn't launched a lawsuit against google for unfair competition
      Unlike Microsoft's competitors Microsoft has the ability to compete. Therefore Microsoft is above such a immature move.

Comment

I certainly would not want to be the technicians who have to work out how to change a distributed system of 60 million (apparently) accounts with what, 2MB space into 250MB space. Yikes.
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

There is a reason hotmail is 250 and not 1 Gigabyte. If Hotmail increased their storage to 1 gigabyte, then Gmail would probably have to increase their storage as well. Neither companies want to have a "storage war", so Hotmail simply increased it to 250. Hotmail is already well established and doesn't have to offer 1 gig to keep most of its customers.

Comment

Yup, I doubt 250MB v 1GB is the big issue right now, the bigger issue is the first one who can open up to new accounts at that rate. My guess is that will be google given the rapidly increasing rates the gmail invites seem to be going around.
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Tbh 250mb would do me easily. I think that if hotmail continues to improve their spam filtering etc then I'll use that over gmail for my forum accounts, other misc stuff. Still, I'll continue to use my personal website email for business - sounds a tad bit more professional than gmail and hotmail
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                Tbh 250mb would do me easily. I think that if hotmail continues to improve their spam filtering etc then I'll use that over gmail for my forum accounts, other misc stuff. Still, I'll continue to use my personal website email for business - sounds a tad bit more professional than gmail and hotmail
                Same here. I like Gmail very much so far but it is taking me a bit of time to get use to all the shortcuts and tools Gmail offers. I've been using the same Hotmail account for years and have become very fond of their spam filtering and interface. Anything above 200MB for space will do just fine. Heck, anything above 50MB will do fine. I'm more interested in spam and interface features rather than 1GB.
                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by dndog
                  There is a reason hotmail is 250 and not 1 Gigabyte. If Hotmail increased their storage to 1 gigabyte, then Gmail would probably have to increase their storage as well. Neither companies want to have a "storage war", so Hotmail simply increased it to 250. Hotmail is already well established and doesn't have to offer 1 gig to keep most of its customers.
                  Google doesn't have to increase the amount of free storage space you get with GMail.

Comment

I have no need for a hotmail or gmail account that stores over 2mb, as keeping emails from 10 years ago isnt what i care about, it doesnt bother me

I just run an installation of @mail on my server and all is good.

Comment

i'm going start 1.5 GB free e-mail system with muti domains to pick from

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                        Google doesn't have to increase the amount of free storage space you get with GMail.
                        Although maybe GMail don't want to be level with the competition - but be ahead.

I don't think these measures by Hotmail and Y! Mail will save them. Once google is open publically, they will be stepped all over.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Birch
                          i'm going start 1.5 GB free e-mail system with muti domains to pick from
                          Good luck - you'll need it Oh and a few million dollars backing too
                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

After experiencing GMail for the first time today, I'd have to say I like it more then Hotmail, Yahoo, and even my own ISP email account.
                            Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

GMail will be the market winner. THe coding in it is all displayed by JavaScript, making it tons faster. Hotmail and Yahoo! are making gmail seem like a competitor when they react to it. All of my friends dont know what gmail is, and neither does the common person it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by transverse
                                All of my friends dont know what gmail is, and neither does the common person it seems.
                                Which is quite unfortunate because i'm desperately waiting for someone to ask my e-mail address and I tell them it's a Gmail and they are like "omg you're so cool and lucky"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X