X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotmail's reaction to Gmail

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116657,00.asp

Let the email wars begin!

Yea they are definatly feeling the heat. And after expieriencing GMail myself, I say they should, because it's going to blow them out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by BeatYou
      Yea they are definatly feeling the heat. And after expieriencing GMail myself, I say they should, because it's going to blow them out of the water.
      Not just them, but pretty much everyone else as well. (Including Y!)
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

Comment

Yes but MSN/hotmail use the .net passport which everyone will need if they want to chat on MSN etc so they will still have some play.

Comment

You can still use MSN chat with a gmail address... no need for a hotmail one at all...
          John

Comment

Oh. Didn't know that.

Comment

I'm surprised MS hasn't launched a lawsuit against google for unfair competition
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Sweet. I love capitalism.
                TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

250 MB....sweet :P
                  Gmail, go go go!

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                    I'm surprised MS hasn't launched a lawsuit against google for unfair competition
                    If anything, it's the underdogs that get worried and would do anything like this....MS is far from being an underdog, but nice attempt at a joke
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Possible internal memo that's going around, source unverified!

Folks,
                      This mail is a heads-up for all of you about a public announcement that we intended to announce tomorrow, but just leaked onto the internet from our internal communications. We have already briefed the major wire services as well as the Washington Post, Seattle Times, New York Times, and Financial Times, and we expect the story to be on the major wire services within the coming hours, and in print media tomorrow morning.

Our customers have been waiting impatiently to see what MSN will do in response to Google and Yahoo’s moves in the web email market. As all of you know, Google recently introduced a limited availability email service with 1GB of free storage while Yahoo rolled out 100MB inboxes for its free email users (in most markets) along with a new UI and 2GB storage for its paid service. These developments significantly upped the ante for service providers of web email, including MSN.

We’ve had a team of people heads down on this for the past six weeks preparing an operational plan and the messaging you’re seeing this week. I appreciate everyone’s patience as we’ve worked out what turns out to be a relatively bold response that offers great value in the free MSN Hotmail service and gives users a reason to subscribe to an even better upgraded service. While today’s messaging more than puts us in the game vis a vis storage, it is also intended to reposition the conversation from a narrow “email storage” focus to a more comprehensive approach including email safety and security, which is an even greater concern of our customers. That said it’s quite possible that the press will treat our response as late and maintain the focus on storage in their coverage, -- but you should know that we are positioning storage as only a part of a much broader approach.

Key components of today’s announcement:

Upgraded Hotmail (ad funded) provides 250MB of free storage, 10MB attachments, free virus scanning/cleaning (unique to MSN), 500 blocked addresses (5X Yahoo), Calendar and calendar sharing, and 30-day account expiration. This offering will delight our customers, beat Yahoo on protection/security and storage and differentiate from Google G-mail on multiple points (protection, PIM functionality, integration with IM, Mobile).
                      Upgraded Hotmail Extra Storage/Hotmail Plus: This is a paid offer ($19.95/yr) that provides users with 2GB of storage and 20MB attachments. It also eliminates graphical ads, includes client access through Dav (OE, Outlook) and yearly account expiration. This offer essentially matches Yahoo on storage and trumps on attachment size.

Rollout Plans: Our ability to roll out this offer in key markets simultaneously is gated by our operational capacity. To ensure there is no service interruption like the ones that Yahoo endured recently, we will stage our rollout plan. All Hotmail users WW will receive free virus cleaning by early July. This will help us demonstrate leadership in the email protection space – neither Google nor Yahoo offers this service. We will start to migrate all Hotmail Extra Storage users to Hotmail Plus in late July. Also in this timeframe, we’ll begin upgrading a few million of our most loyal free users in the US, UK and Japan to the new 250MB Hotmail free offer. In November we will begin upgrading the remaining 7 million MSN Premium users and approximately 80 million free users in Wave 1 markets (US, UK, Japan, Australia, Canada, France, Germany and Spain) prioritizing against operational capacity, and demand ramp. For the remaining key Hotmail markets, we will upgrade users over the following 12 months based (in part) on market potential for ad funded monetization. While we would have liked to make the announcement and full roll out a simultaneous event, that just isn’t possible. We feel it’s critical to outline a strong public response now and at the same time, responsibly manage the operational side of this effort.

Comment

This is very nice news. However, GMail is currently unbeatable IMHO

Comment

ooooh.... 250 MB for hotmail? good, now i don't have to delete my old emails :P

but ill probably end up switching to gmail anyways just to see if it fits me

MGM out

Comment

Nice...can't wait for this!
                            Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

Deleting all your emails is a good thing! I keep emails for one week then they are removed, so i dont have any audit trails

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X