X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Migration

Wow, this is impressive:
    http://news.com.com/Munich+to+stick+...j=news.7344.20

I wonder what made them want to go for it if microsoft underbid the linux contracts.
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Could be the recent increase of critical security bugs?

Comment

I don't know, I am just surprised they went for it, when for example IBM havn't even done it yet.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

They've done it for their own freedom, which they are already taking advantage of by tendering the final contract to whichever company offers them the most suitable terms for them to work under.

The financial gains and other advantages from Open Source are long term, savings and discounts from their proprietary vendors are only valid for the inital proposals. In the long term you just become a.nother customer locked in like the rest of them.

Open Source software has already benefited lots of companies and businesses which haven't even used Free and/or Open Source software. Mainly bigger organisations are using it as a bargaining chip against companies like Microsoft to get themselves big discounts. And they'll have to continue this process with every upgrade and expenditure with Microsoft to keep the prices low.
        HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
        -
        Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

I think it has more to do with the fact that Germans don't like Americans. Therefore they would not deal with a US company that has superior everything for a much lower TCO when they can deal with a company that can give them control of the products, regardless of the TCO (which is really hurting them right now).
          Last edited by Shining Arcanine; Thu 17 Jun '04, 11:18am.

Comment

Is Novell any less American? I honestly don't know where they are based, their name does sound European, I am guessing French, but don't know.
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Eh, honestly i hate novell, Ive done quite abit of work with Novell 5.5 and 6, abit of 4 too, and I dont think they are all that great, their servers (5.5 and 6) the GUI is totaly java based, you need a bare mininum of 256megs just to bootup a novell 6 server.

Their system is still bulky and odd i think. When they originaly were around, they were primarly after intergration with windows 98/95 before NT was as big as it is today providing secutiury. Alot of places that used to use novell no longer do.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                Is Novell any less American? I honestly don't know where they are based, their name does sound European, I am guessing French, but don't know.
                With Novell they keep the Source Code, with Microsoft they don't. They don't want to rely on an American company (even through they would rely more on a US company on the Linux route than they would on the Windows one).

Comment

What exactly are you basing this on? Did they actually say this, or are you just making it up for your total and complete bias support for Microsoft?
                  Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                    What exactly are you basing this on? Did they actually say this, or are you just making it up for your total and complete bias support for Microsoft?
                    I recall reading that they are having trouble getting the computers to work since they have no clue how to use them. They had to spend a few million to get them working. I understand training people for linux will also cost alot of money. Then there will be the costs of technical support for the lifetime of the computers which will probably be an arm and a leg considering that they will either pay per hour (typing commands into a prompt takes longer than clicking), pay extra as Linux is harder to trouble shoot, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                      Its probably the people from SuSE linux who were bought over by Novell last year.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                        I recall reading that they are having trouble getting the computers to work since they have no clue how to use them. They had to spend a few million to get them working. I understand training people for linux will also cost alot of money. Then there will be the costs of technical support for the lifetime of the computers which will probably be an arm and a leg considering that they will either pay per hour (typing commands into a prompt takes longer than clicking), pay extra as Linux is harder to trouble shoot, or both.
                        Consider the costs of training though. Microsoft training, through an official MS training partner will cost £1000's. Training for Linux will cost around the same, maybe more like you say. However the training you get for Linux is applicable to many different companies product such as Suse, Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo, Debian, and would help you get an understanding of Unix systems too. So, the way I see it.. 1 training course makes you more compitant in lots of software products. Microsoft training gives you knowledge to use on only 1 companies products.

Discard my theory above if you like, however I am quite sure that with the numbers of linux installations growing and the number of people requiring training increasing, the cost of training an individual or a company will start to fall. That's how supply, demand and competition work in the business world.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                          I think it has more to do with the fact that Germans don't like Americans. Therefore they would not deal with a US company that has superior everything for a much lower TCO when they can deal with a company that can give them control of the products, regardless of the TCO (which is really hurting them right now).
                          ... and this is a silly comment. How can you say an entire country doesn't like another country, and so then refuses to work with Novell? Thats absurd. BMW and Mercedes have factorys/offices/sites through the USA. Is their relationship based on hate too?

Statements like that can land you in a load of trouble depending on how people interprit them.

Novell's Corporate Head Quarters are based in the US, with other offices all over the US.
                          Corporate Headquarters and Principal Executive Offices
                          404 Wyman Street, Suite 500
                          Waltham, MA 02451
                          Main: 781-464-8000
                          Novell were beaten out of the file server market in the 90's by the Microsoft desktop/server solution. Everyone moved to Windows NT.

I've run 5 Novell NetWare 4.11 servers within my organisation, they still provide network storage for 100's of users which I support. And this is on technology which is over 10 years old. I have heard the horror stories about Novell 5 and 6, which I haven't had the chance to use as we stuck with 4.11.

The purchase of Suse by Novell was a great move in my opinion. Novell can use Open Source to it's and the clients advantage if properly implemented.

Yes there will be plenty of bugs/problems/issues. But they do not have to wait for 1 vendor to fix them or identify the problems. These problems will be cheaper and easier to fix within a lesser time frame though, and will benefit everyone who uses the software.
                          -

Comment

I migrated lots of UK government systems to Linux from MS in my last job, it was just better suited to the job across all the requirements.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

SUSE was partly owned by DeucheBank or DeuchePost (can't remember which) until quite recently.
                              http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X