Starting Visual Basic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Visual Basic?

I received a copy of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard today. I want to start programing some, it came with a mini version of "Step by Step Microsoft Visual Basic .NET 2003". Should I buy the full version, I've been told it's a good book, but I've already bought about 20 books that I need to read, what about online tutorials I can read? I would search Google, but I would rather have opinions by real people, because I could switch for awhile and not find anything I like.
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

I read some good reviews about it, but I am not a .NET fan (yet). Try searching for some reviews.

Comment

I received it yesterday. I went through Chapters 1 and 2 (GUI stuff) and they are very helpful. I'm planning on going through chapters 3 and 4 (Programming Stuff) later.

Comment

I have the step-by-step for C# and it's a great book. I can't really speak for that book, but if it's anything like the C# book then I'd say go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
          I read some good reviews about it, but I am not a .NET fan (yet). Try searching for some reviews.
          What's the differences between them all?

Comment

I've never used VB.NET, but I did a course for VB6 and I enjoyed it. I'd probably check it out soon because I heard it's great.

Comment

I don't know if they are still doing it, but Microsoft was giving away copies of VB.NET Standard for doing reviews.

Comment

C# is a much nicer language than VB.NET (imo)

All microsoft based books are really good, they stole the editors from WROX who wrote awsome books.

If you already have 20 books to read, though, dont bother.

Comment

I read through the mini book, has a lot of good information. I created my first application with a text box, and buttons that when you click them it changes the text box to say 'Hello, Name!', with a reset button. Also created a menu that will exit the program and an about menu that tells about the program. Not much, but good for my first program, the book was helpful.

What is the differences between C and VB that makes C better? Personal preference?

Comment

C isnt easy to learn

C# however, is much more like PHP (imo) whereas VB is just like VB, which i dont like.

C# and VB are similar to learn in my experience, but i am no super programmer

Comment

I wouldn't relate C# to PHP at all... I'd relate it C++ without all the annoying parts.

Both C# and VB.NET both use the framework which means they can both do virtually the exact same things (mind you, some select things are harder in one then the other -- I haven't found a case like that yet, but read about them ). C# just has nicer code IMO.

Comment

My neighbor friend that works at Microsoft has that book, along with C++ and Visual C# books. Talked with him some and he says Visual Basic is only for Windows and C/C++/C# can be used cross platform and with the console. He told me I should learn both Visual Basic and C to start for the profession I'm working towards. He let me borrow the book set that he has. Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Deluxe Learning Edition. I'll read through that and see what Visual Basic is like.

What program should I use if I want to get into C (He told me it's the easiest) or C# (Since it's the 'newest') What are the limits to Visual Basic and C/C++/C#?

Comment

Very many people would suggest not learning VB, at least not as a first language. If you plan on learning other languages VB may leave you with bad programming habits.

I am inclined to agree with them.

The difference between C/C++ and VB is speed and power. C++ code runs faster and the language is much more powerful. It is easier to develop large programs with it.

Comment

But starting out, C is going to give him a really large headache. Start with something like python that combines object orientated programming with with basics. Gives you a taste of both without driving you up the wall. Don't fall in love with python because it will soon slap you in the face
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Just out of interest, what kinda language is C++?? I sued to program quite a bit in truebasic (yes i know its poo) but as as starting language it was great, using sub-routines etc

could someone post soem snippets of common structures in C++ and maybe some links to tuts?

Im told most "basic" languages follow a similar strcuture, thus i want to see how C++ compares

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X