what to do about forum invasions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do about forum invasions...

There's a bunch of people on another forum (~5 or 7 of them) that planned and went ahead and disrupted my forums, basically spamming with random messages. I banned their accounts, but they sign up for new ones, and I banned their IPs, but they're using an Proxy to get around that. Basically, my forum is being disrupted by these malicious users.

I don't want to disable registration or shut down my forum just because a bunch of people wish to disrupt things. What are my options? Am I legally entitled to demand from their internet provider that they shut down their accounts for illegal activities? (if such activities are indeed illegal?)

You could compare the IP to the ALT_IP on register.php or even better global.php(if you just dont want them) i suggest going over to vBulletin.org.

Comment

I'm not really up to hackish ways to keep dancing around this issue. Does anyone if know if this is illegal? If so, I can just contact their hosts, indicating their IP addresses, and scare them straight.

Comment

Here's what I'm talking about... if I go to a post from one of the abusive members:

Code:
        The IP Address is: xx.xx.xx.xx. The host name is: ipxx-xx-xx-xx.hr.hr.cox.net.
        If I go to Cox's policy:
        http://www.cox.com/policy/#aup_1

Prohibited Activities. You may not use the Service in a manner that violates any applicable local, state, federal or international law, order or regulation. Additionally, You may not use the Service to:

- Conduct, participate in, or otherwise facilitate pyramid or other illegal soliciting schemes.
        - Take part in any fraudulent activities, including impersonating any person or entity or forging anyone else's digital or manual signature.
        - Invade another person's privacy, stalk, harass, or otherwise violate the rights of others.
        - Post, transmit, or disseminate content that is threatening, abusive, libelous, slanderous, defamatory, incites hatred, or is otherwise offensive or objectionable.
        - Restrict, inhibit, or otherwise interfere with the ability of any other person to use or enjoy the equipment or the Service, including, without limitation, by posting or transmitting any information or software which contains a virus, lock, key, bomb, worm, Trojan horse, cancelbot, or other harmful feature.
        - Collect or store personal data about other users.
        - Use an IP address not assigned to you.
        - Violate any other Cox policy or guideline.
        - Resell or redistribute the Service to any third party via any means including but not limited to wireless technology.
        How to Contact Cox. For any questions regarding this AUP, complaints of violations, or cancellation notices, please contact Cox at one of the following:

E-mail: [email protected]
        Anyone gone this route before?

Comment

It has been done before

Best method to stop it from happening is to moderate new user registrations. Just means you have to be active in doing it otherwise people wont come back

Comment

By all means give it a try.

Comment

I've done it before to a user using Sympatico. It worked nicely, Sympatico ended up calling the kid's father. Needless to say, he didn't spam anymore.
              "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
              "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
              Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

LOL! Ownage.
                http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

I would go a bit further and give Cox a call and give em a bit of hell. Usually if you rattle a few cages you can get this issue accelerated.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I used to be part of a board where a few of the members thought that was the height of fun... never did figure out the attraction, but those folks (who were all grown, btw, no "daddy" to make them stop) would usually stop after a couple of days, especially if they were ignored...

Comment

This might help you out
                      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107979
                      None

Comment

Well, the nice people at Cox persuaded them to stop, after some stern warnings; so the pace is safe for another day

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X