Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Portable Music Player?

Hey everyone.

I am looking into various devices used to transport large amounts of music (iPod, DellDJ, etc).

What are your guys' opinions? What is the best? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

I've had an iPod for 2 years now and love it. Works great on a PC and the battery outlasts any outing I choose to use it for. Only limitation is it can't play back OGG or FLAC, but I never listen to those anyway.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
    http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Do you need an Apple computer to put songs from your computer to the iPod?

Comment

No you do not. You can either use iTunes for Windows or there is a handy plugin for Winamp that ads your iPod to your Media Library menu. If you have a Windows XP machine, you will be just fine.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

My son swears by his Creative Nomad and is totally satisfied with it. I'm curious why anyone would pay more for an iPod and be happy with less storage?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            My son swears by his Creative Nomad and is totally satisfied with it. I'm curious why anyone would pay more for an iPod and be happy with less storage?
            I had the same thought as well. The functionality and look of iPods is very attractive, but not worth the extra cash in my opinion. I think iPod is just another name brand, kind of like how Victoria Secret is to underwear. The normal stuff will perform just fine, but people insist on using what everyone else is.
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

It is just a brand, it looks good and it has a few extra functions than the nomad but if you have the money they're fun .

@ Ksilebo - you can get OOG <-> MP3 <-> WMA and all sorts of cross-format convertors Tis easy enough.
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

@Dean C: Most of the music I dont have in CD form anymore, and I'd be masochistic if I decided to recompress lossy audio.

@Steve & tgillespie: I got the iPod because it is the most quality one made. Not because I follow a trend, not because I think its cool, not because I proudly display it and want others to say "ooh, he must be cool, he has an iPod!!1" The iPod was just the right size, has actual quality construction, was a hell of a lot smaller, had the best UI, and used Firewire instead of USB2. I can't speak for others, but thats why I got the iPod.

And also I hate Creative with a passion.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Originally posted by Ksilebo
                  and used Firewire instead of USB2
                  Is it a good thing ?
                  USB2 is slightly faster than a Firewire (of course it depends from lot of factors and chipsets).

Comment

Originally posted by goyo
                    Is it a good thing ?
                    USB2 is slightly faster than a Firewire (of course it depends from lot of factors and chipsets).
                    Firewire (1) is 400 Mb/sec whereas USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/sec.

1. No hard drive consistently matches that speed (the iPod uses a hard drive for storage).
                    2. USB 2.0 requires more CPU overhead than Firewire (1) and therefore often has a slower net speed than Firewire (1).

I say Firewire (1) because there is a "Firewire 800" marketed by Apple that is double the speed of traditional Firewire by performing at 800 Mb/sec.

Note that Mb = megabit and MB = megabyte.
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Forget the iPod.

iRiver all the way.

http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=H140

Comment

I'll be looking into an ipod mini but they are not yet available in germany
                        That's the end of that!

Comment

Get a Rio Karma. Rio has been making mp3 players for a long time and they make the best IMO. If i were you i would get a Karma

http://rioaudio.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            My wife has a Creative Zen Nomad... Same size as the iPod, similar feature set, better control placement (on the side instead of the front) which allows use within a nice protective leather case and a 30 GB harddrive. It also cost less than the 10GB iPod.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

at the latest apple conference Steve Jobbs said they are working to drive down the price of the iPod sometime soon. I dont know if this is June 15th when the Europe iTunes service launches.

I've got the 15GB iPod and i can't falter it. I also only manage to fill 1gb.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X