This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piracy &/or THEFT

It really irritates me to no end, the lack of seriousness VBulletin takes Theft/Piracy.
    I reported a site that I KNOW FOR A FACT is stealing their forum software. I have waited several weeks, & the site remains up & running.

Heck, since this seems to be a ligh issue pass me some software.

Check it out for your selves:
    [link removed]

What a shame......
    Last edited by Zachery; Sun 30 May '04, 8:35pm.

Originally posted by Bad_i_BILL
    It really irritates me to no end, the lack of seriousness VBulletin takes Theft/Piracy.
    I reported a site that I KNOW FOR A FACT is stealing their forum software. I have waited several weeks, & the site remains up & running.

Heck, since this seems to be a ligh issue pass me some software.

Check it out for your selves:

What a shame......
    You should remove that link from your post.

It's not always so easy to take down these sites, and usually does take time.
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Say the person's server that is using an illegal vBulletin is located in Mexico, China, or in some kids basement. Its not easy when dealing with other countries and their laws against piracy. I also know that some ISP's could give a rats ass what their customer's use their connection for as long as their butt is not on the line government wise. You have to realize that buy paying for vBulletin, you get quality support, access to a database full of mods and templates, latest vB updates, and you are helping vBulletin produce better software by investing in their company.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Infact, the webmaster charges fols a FEE to be granted full access.

Not only is he abusing the piracy, but making a few bucks to boot.

Comment

Ive removed the link, they may have bought a license for all you know

Comment

Well, that gives me integrity.

I happen to KNOW they have no license. They brag about it. They had a lanning ceter that was FULL of pirated software. Now it is OUT OF BUSINESS.

Well... I reported it, I brought it here. I have done my part, now I will wait a few more wasted weeks & see what action is taken.

Not my product, not my problem.

I was trying to help by doing the right thing.

Comment

You are blaming it on the wrong company. Jelsoft contracts their antipiracy efforts to a third party company, and they are responsible for enforcing the DMCA with the hosts or ISPs. As previously stated, many pirates are in countries such as China with notoriously terrible enforcement of Internet law, and therefore it will take longer to bring them down.

Respectfully, you are not wasting anybody's time, including yours, by waiting for the site to be taken down. It eventually will be when possible, but it is not like Jelsoft has a finger on the power switch of every server out there.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

If you reported this several weeks ago I suggest reporting again. We have just recently changed piracy companies because the last one was no longer doing an adequate job.

Also, please note that something is ALWAYS done. Keep in mind that Jelsoft is not some all-powerful entity that can smite down illegal sites with a wave of it's mighty hand. The process requires cooperation from the web hosting companies and others as well. Some are more cooperative than others.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Take note that the piracy team are probably getting 100s of URLs reported each week. It's going to take a while to deal individually and investigate into each one of these
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    Keep in mind that Jelsoft is not some all-powerful entity that can smite down illegal sites with a wave of it's mighty hand.
                    Why not? I think it would be cool if Jelsoft came out with vSmite

Comment

As thier site continues to prosper, makes a person really wonder.

I check it daily & it just grows & grows.

Comment

For all you know they may have purchased a license

we cannot disclose the details of what happens.

Comment

Except I hear them talking almost DAILY about what they get away with.

Therefore for all I know THEY CONTINUE TO RIP OFF JELSOFT.
                          Your comment is a real insult to ones intelligence.

I give up, let them continue to steal & pirate what they like. If people choose to let them be, whay put myself out to worry about it. Life is too short.

Good Luck

Comment

To be honest, i dont go to that site, i reported it the day you put the link here, and from then i have no clue of what happens, it gets turned into our piracy agency and they deal with it from there.

Comment

Can someone PM me the site so I can see what actions have been taken so far?

Again as I stated before it takes time and cooperation from the web host to get a site shut down. We are not all-powerful.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X