Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can people stop posting messages please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can people stop posting messages please?

I have a big problem. I've not looked at vbulletin in a few days because it's time consuming. I came back here and have 18 pages of new messages!!! and so many of them are interesting. Imagine what it will be like next year.

So I have a [request]. People. Please stop posting messages. Especially not interesting ones.

Thank you.

????????????????????

That makes absolutely NO sense. Why stop posting interesting messages? That's the goal of a UBBS board, at least on mine. You want people to stop doing what they're here to do.

Comment

I think he was kidding.

Comment

Re: ????????????????????

Originally posted by Unown
        That makes absolutely NO sense. Why stop posting interesting messages? That's the goal of a UBBS board, at least on mine. You want people to stop doing what they're here to do.
        Um, it was a joke.

Comment

dwh, I can identify with you. I was offline for about 10 days. Now I have to pick and choose what to catch up on and what to drop. Oh well, I guess it's the price I pay for going on vacation.

Comment

unown, indeed it was a joke. I was bemusing the fact that this place has grown so fast. And the quality of the developers and the posters is A1! But to follow it like I like to is so time consuming that it is quite a challenge!

Comment

Didn't check between 1 AM and 1 PM today..

119 threads with new posts, so I figure that's like 400 or so posts (considering some threads had like 15 new replies). Not fun to go through

(I never actually came near to finishing anyway.)

Comment

FINE! I never wanted to post interesting stuff here anyway. *sob*

Going through mass threads isn't hard for me.. give me about 15 minutes roughly, and I can go through, read, and reply to about 18 threads... flood control is a problem on some boards. ;-)

Comment

That's why we should have a "slashdot" type post rating system, so people can weed out junk posts from good posts. Otherwise huge bbs's would become crippled with noise and actually drive people away. And no, don't do it like ubb6 where you rate users rather than posts. That type of system is not very effective. Good people will post junk sometimes and jerks will post good stuff occasionally too.
                  Last edited by Skeptical; Mon 5 Mar '01, 9:37pm.
                  Well, there it is.
                  - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

How does slashdot rate messages?

Comment

It's a bit convoluted and actually took me a while to "get it".

- You become a member.
                      - Randomly, some members are granted X amount of moderator points.
                      - You get to use those points to rate posts.
                      - Once you use up your points, that's it.
                      - This whole thing repeats. The more you visit/post, the more likely you're chosen for moderating.
                      - If you submit a story and it gets posted, you get more "karma", which is different from post points. Post points go with the post. Karma goes with your user name.
                      - If you get enough karma, your posts automatically get rated as a 2 (vs a 1 by default) unless someone moderates it down later.
                      - If your posts are moderated up often enough, your karma increases.
                      - If you post trolls, you get mod'ed down (-1 points).

Ok, now for the end user:

- as a browser, you get to choose at what level you want to be viewing posts. If you choose 2, all posts rated below that are hidden from your view.

This is much better than ubb6's "rate a user" system. Their system doesn't even allow you to change your mind later. And you can always register multiple user names and rate yourself higher and higher (cheating).
                      Well, there it is.
                      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Boy am I embarrassed!

I never was good at detecting Sarcasm. Well done Dwh. I didnt catch that one.

Comment

Re: Boy am I embarrassed!

Originally posted by Unown
                          I never was good at detecting Sarcasm. Well done Dwh. I didnt catch that one.
                          Hang around here long enough you'll see we're a wacky bunch

Comment

No need to be embarrassed. I used to be much worse. I used to make funny jokes, and not care if people got it. Now I try to give some clues that it was funny so other people can laugh with me.

Comment

Originally posted by dwh
                              Now I try to give some clues that it was funny
                              You know it's bad when you have to give people clues that it was funny!

-jim

Comment