X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floris
    replied
    Since this isn't going to progress in a productive conversation from this point on, I will close this thread. Take personal issues between members private. This thread is to discuss how to process members who misbehave. Not to attack them in public.

Grace, behave on these forums or face a ban. First and final warning.
    Last edited by Floris; Mon 14 Jun '04, 10:07am.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    After reading that post, I think I will support Marco. Not only does this gentlemen have no life, but evidently have poor english and must resort to cursing in order to express his thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Marco
    replied
    Well see, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Now he has followed me over here, too.

Oh well. At least he can't post on my forums anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Scrubby
    replied
    Awww. I am not a bastard! .

Leave a comment:

• Roody
    replied
    Kinda hard to sympathize with you Grace when you come on and talk like that. Why not just let it go between you two? One of you has to relent eventually.

Leave a comment:

• dynamite
    replied
    Like I said... use Tachy. Because it usually takes them a while to realize that no one is able to see what they are writing.
    The other thing is to add that mod from vbulletin.org called Miserable User and make it where they only hit your site once every X% (set by you), otherwise it takes like 2 minutes for the screen to pop up to say the page couldn't be loaded. This is extremely frustrating and they will quit trying to go to your site because they think it is something with their network connection.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by tgillespie
    Whats going to stop him from jumping on a Proxy and doing it all over again? I think the best solutions would be to get in contact with his ISP and ask them to give him a warning. If he does it again, I would ask the ISP to disconnect him. You can block and block and delete and delete, but there are some people you just can't get to go away. Having his ISP call him is the only way to scare him. You block, he jumps proxys or finds a friend with a computer.
    Then you just add that proxy too.

He can find 100 proxies and change isp 100 times, but .. eventually he will stop.

One user shouldn't be the reason your community should get closed because you allow him to continue to crap on it

Leave a comment:

• andrew johnson
    replied
    one trick when i was helper admin i banned one user the user thought main admin banned user so he stopped coming then he came back to said sorry about so i unbanned him then user went happy ever

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris
    Check the header of the emails to see where they REALLY come from and ban that host range. Ask support from the hosting provider to block those ranges.

It kind of helps if he floods you with 500 emails that his own mailbox gets filled with 500 bouncy mails.
    Whats going to stop him from jumping on a Proxy and doing it all over again? I think the best solutions would be to get in contact with his ISP and ask them to give him a warning. If he does it again, I would ask the ISP to disconnect him. You can block and block and delete and delete, but there are some people you just can't get to go away. Having his ISP call him is the only way to scare him. You block, he jumps proxys or finds a friend with a computer.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Check the header of the emails to see where they REALLY come from and ban that host range. Ask support from the hosting provider to block those ranges.

It kind of helps if he floods you with 500 emails that his own mailbox gets filled with 500 bouncy mails.

Leave a comment:

• dynamite
    replied
    It seems you have done everthing you could do. You may want to consider the Tachey Goes to Coventry option. That way it would probably take him a while to figure out no one was seeing his posts except him and you. I have used this pretty effectively in the past. Typically they just go away, especially after finding out that they had been posting and posting for several days and no one ever saw it
    Then if they sign back up, do it to them again. Do you require validation through email on your signups?

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Gather the info and find out who owns the subnets, contact the ISP abuse department with all this info and end the email with 'a copy of this email has been sent to the other abuse departments of involved parties'. And state clearly what the type of abuse is, how hard it is to fight and how you'd like to get support in this.

Hopefully the accounts are checked and warning email/snailmail sent to his parents. Some ISP are quite strict and even cancell the abusers' account, whereas others don't do anything.

Email flooding is against the ISP TOS , so point that out and link to their own words. Hopefully they block the email account and warn the user.

And just keep on fighting, ignore his emails, and posts and abuse. But act on it behind the scene. Block his accounts, filter out the floods as much as possible and find out how to prevent further abuse. Make sure your security on the forums are more strict (like a .htaccess to the admin/mod cp to prevent hack attempts).

The net always has abusers, and unfortn. it is hard to fight. But being strict and firm in your actions against this while not making a public fuzz about it will just annoy them and make them go think 'sigh, I can't show off to my friends how cool I am by giving them posts of the admin going mad' , 'efforts seem to have no effect!'.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Marco
    started a topic What can I do about this user?

What can I do about this user?

Hello all,

In July of last year, a user signed up at my forums. He soon became a pain in the ass and I banned him. Seeing as his IP addresses were dynamic, I couldn't really ban those, so I just suspended his user account. Since then, he has come back over and over again under different user names, just posting useless crap, calling me names, saying my forums are crap, and so on. A few weeks ago, I got so sick of it that I banned two entire subnets just to get rid of him. He still came back three times using proxy servers, which I also banned. After that he appeared yet again; this time he was using a cable account. I banned that IP address as well and I haven't seen him on my forums since (but that was only yesterday).

But it's not just that which he has done.

He has repeatedly flooded my email inbox with tons of emails sent through another forum (those Tell-a-friend emails); seeing as they were sent through that forum there was no way to trace them back to him but I just know it was him doing that.
    He has sent me tons of emails complaining about him being banned over and over again.
    He has repeatedly signed me up for other forums using my email address; I know this because I get sent confirmation emails all the time.
    He has even gone as far as posting a topic here on these forums complaining about my forums! Steve Machol deleted that topic for me though, so it's no longer here (although maybe it's in some sort of secret trash forum?)

Now what can I possibly do about this guy? His ISP is Blueyonder (UK), I have already emailed them a while back but they never responded.

I NEED to get rid of this guy. I swear if he would live nearby I'd go over there and smah his face, I'm that pissed off. Everywhere he comes he complains about how awful my forums are yet he keeps coming back over and over again. Now, I can handle that, if I have to keep banning him then that's what I'll do. The problem is that he's just harassing me online and I'm starting to get majorly pissed off now.

I've looked on the Blueyonder website for any phone numbers I might be able to call but I couldn't really come up with anything. Any ideas?
    Perhaps people here have been in a similar situation and were able to solve it somehow.
    Last edited by Marco; Thu 27 May '04, 11:53am.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X