Question about converting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about converting

I've often wondered how many people we've rescued() from the competition. This is for my own curiousity.

Feel free to post why you switched and whether you still feel it was a good move. Maybe we could use the contructive feedback to improve even more
    IPB
    17.07%
    UBB.Classic
    26.83%
    UBB.Threads/wwwThreads
    0.00%
    UBB Eve
    0.00%
    Open Topic
    0.00%
    UBB.x
    0.00%
    phpBB
    17.07%
    DC Forum
    0.00%
    Ikonboard
    7.32%
    Other (please tell)
    31.71%
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

I switched from UBB way back when. I guess you can tell that from my UID, though.

I switched after the OpenTopic debacle, which in the interest of professionalism I won't go into.

Please remember that the purpose here is NOT to belittle the competition. The thread and poll will be closed if that gets started.
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

I switched to vBulletin from phpBB because from my understanding vBulletin is superior. My only regrets are:

-Clicking the IP links on posts doesn't give anywhere near the amount of information phpBB gave.

-The read marking system for forums and posts doesn't work as expected.

There were a few others but they aren't on the top of my head right now. I posted them here before through.

Comment

[offtopic]hmm what did you get when you click the IP links that we dont have? I might be able to sort something for 3.0.2[/offtopic]
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I came over from ubb.classic back in the day, I stayed and tried version 6.0 for awhile until it ate the server.

Comment

When I first got my license, I converted from phpBB. Then, I closed that forum due to a lack of activity, and then I converted a forum that I was an admin at from IPB to vB... and that forum is still running good

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
            [offtopic]hmm what did you get when you click the IP links that we dont have? I might be able to sort something for 3.0.2[/offtopic]
            Scott, this is what you get:
            Attached Files
            Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

Had several boards, but the last one was Anyboard. http://netbula.com/anyboard/

Comment

I used to use IPB on my sites (which were never serious). I didn't really "convert" though. When Cary had his OYSO site, I won the license and that's when I got serious

Comment

I took over administration of a site and found out it was running an illegal vBulletin. I then placed and order and have been a happy customer since. I use to use phpbb on my core website, but after the community died that I took administration of, I switched the vB to my current community and it has grown quite well.

Reason I switched: The paid support of vBulletin and the template system. phpBB and IPB are nothing near compared to vB in terms of style control.
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Way back when before i had vB, our community mainly used gamers.com's forums.

Unfortunatly there was no post converter, so we just started fresh. I am yet to regret it to this day!

Comment

I stared with phpBB about a year ago, but found that the standard (Vanilla) version lacked some of the features I wanted, so I moved to Invision power board.

This was fine for a while, but the support and general posting of the users was a little on the immature side for me, so I took the plunge and bought a vB lease.

No looking back. vBs template system is excellent, and the support is just as good.

Top marks vB.
                      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

I converted from YaBB 1.3 Gold. I had to use an unofficial converter as there was nothing available from vb. I came because of the resource usage of YaBB and I wanted my forum to be search engine friendly. YaBB also showed more details to do with the IP. I second the request for more IP address info.
                        Accrington
                        Land Rover Forum
                        PLC Forum

Comment

I came from UBB 5.45c to vBulletin 2.0.0 rc can't remember what version though.

I'll look into the IP thing today.
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I left Infopop like Martin at about the same time. I let my son use my first license and I went with wwwthreads perl because of the threaded option which my users liked since we used Matt Wrights forum script. My son Imported his 5.41 version of UBB into vbulletin 1.1.
                            When Infopop bought out wwwthreads I bought another license for vb and after an email exchange with John he sent me an import script and I imported to v2.21.
                            I since have converted 1 other forum from wwwthreads and sold my licenses for it.
                            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

We had a wbb >http://woltlab.de< but we converted very quickly and some days ago we got the user database from a phpbb
                              That's the end of that!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X