Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with my new computer (hardware)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by tgillespie
    I built a computer for a buddy last year using a barebones kit off TigerDirect (shame) and during Christmas his computer started hanging. I tried everything: different heatsink, different video card, flashed everything, and eventually we found out his memory was causing the system to hang. I threw a stick of Kingston in his machine that I had sitting around and it hasn't frozen since. The original memory was some el'cheapo non-named brand stuff. For now on I stick with Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, and Mustek. If its not going in my machine, I recommend 2700.

    That does not mean that all cheap RAM is rubbish. You can get the same problems with top of the range RAM too.
    Anyway I just stick with Crucial as It isn't really the best idea in the world to mix 2 different makes of RAM.

    Comment


    • #47
      True. But you will have a lot better chance with getting quality memory when going with a well known manufacture than you will with some cheap company. It is a known fact that when you buy good memory, you are buying something that has been tested under all conditions and is going to be compatable. You really do get what you pay for sooner or later.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by tgillespie
        True. But you will have a lot better chance with getting quality memory when going with a well known manufacture than you will with some cheap company. It is a known fact that when you buy good memory, you are buying something that has been tested under all conditions and is going to be compatable. You really do get what you pay for sooner or later.
        Well I didn't say I bought cheap RAM... I said I bought Generic RAM. There is a difference. . In fact, the last RAM I purchased came from the Kingston factory, just doesn't bear their name and works just as well and I saved $20.00.
        Translations provided by Google.

        Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Hmmm... I have used generic RAM in all of my systems for the last 15 years and have never had problems with it. I would suspect the number one cause of instability and failure is overclocking and pushing the limits.
          I didn't say #1, I said leading as it depends on whether or not it plays nicely with the motherboard, doesn't give errors, etc.

          Originally posted by HostOrbit

          That does not mean that all cheap RAM is rubbish. You can get the same problems with top of the range RAM too.
          Anyway I just stick with Crucial as It isn't really the best idea in the world to mix 2 different makes of RAM.
          It is much much less common with name brand memory.

          Originally posted by tgillespie
          True. But you will have a lot better chance with getting quality memory when going with a well known manufacture than you will with some cheap company. It is a known fact that when you buy good memory, you are buying something that has been tested under all conditions and is going to be compatable. You really do get what you pay for sooner or later.
          Exactly.

          Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Well I didn't say I bought cheap RAM... I said I bought Generic RAM. There is a difference. . In fact, the last RAM I purchased came from the Kingston factory, just doesn't bear their name and works just as well and I saved $20.00.
          Kingston isn't what I'd call cheap or generic, it is namebrand.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
            Kingston isn't what I'd call cheap or generic, it is namebrand.
            What I have though isn't the Kingston brand, it is just fabricated by them. It doesn't have any brand name on it. Just a green stick with black chips..
            Translations provided by Google.

            Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              What I have though isn't the Kingston brand, it is just fabricated by them. It doesn't have any brand name on it. Just a green stick with black chips..
              any insite on how you managed to get that?
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by tgillespie
                any insite on how you managed to get that?
                The distributor I purchase from looks for good deals on high quality products and passes it on to their customers. It is one of the reasons why I am willing to pay 10-20 dollars more for a processor from them instead of risking online purchases from companies like Newegg. I just have to watch their specials and talk to their knowledgeable sales staff. Add that to no hassle returns, no lines, online ordering with instore pickup and it is a good company that fills my needs.

                If I were to shop at a store like Fry's or Newegg, which doesn't really care about the customer but on volume sales then I would purchase name brand components from them. That is because I can't trust them to have my best interests behind their motives but instead are simply concentrating on the bottomline. Smaller companies have to be service oriented in order to compete and that is what I choose.
                Translations provided by Google.

                Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

                Comment

                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X