Help with my new computer (hardware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my new computer (hardware)

Im looking to get a new computer. I already have a case and hard drives and all that stuff. all i need to do is upgrade my motherboard, processor, and ram. Im looking for a duel processor motherboard Pentium 4 NOT amd.

Does anyone know where i can buy a good duel processor motherboard? I tried asus but all i could find was duel xeon. i need P4. also with all the good stuff.

I would prefibaly get just a duel proc mobo without the proc or ram.

Some extra questions.....
    Can you run a duel proc with 2 different processor speeds?
    Can you run a duel proc motherboard with 1 processor? (by changing a jumper or something i guess)

Im a semi-newbie on hardware, but i can put it all together. If anyone can help, please.

Thanks
    Last edited by rnawky; Sat 22 May '04, 8:47am. Reason: added to title

Originally posted by rnawky
    Can you run a duel proc motherboard with 1 processor? (by changing a jumper or something i guess)
    I believe you can run a Dual motherboard with a single CPU but it probably depends on the board.

Comment

Some extra questions.....
      Can you run a duel proc with 2 different processor speeds?
      1) No. Both processors have to be the same make, model, speed and support the same front-side bus. You cannot even run a P4 2.8b alongside a P4 2.8c. They have to be exactly the same.

2) Yes, you can run a dual processor board with a single processor, however you may experience a performance hit if the BIOS doesn't properly support this.

I have a question for you in return...
      You are new at hardware and yet you think you need a dual processor machine? Why? Do you think it will improve game performance? Do you do heavy duty 3-D rendering? As it is now, your single processor machine is probably spending 90% of its time waiting for you. The average user has no need for a dual processor machine these days. So why?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Maybe he plans on folding.

Comment

i use 3ds max alot and i would just like to have duel proc. and becides, me and my friend are like in a war to who has the best PC. so if i get this ill be better

im not "new" at hardware persay. i can take a comp apare and put it back together and i know alot about computers. its just things like the "front side bus" and the "north bridge" that i dont know what they are.

Comment

i use 3ds max alot and i would just like to have duel proc. and becides, me and my friend are like in a war to who has the best PC. so if i get this ill be better

im not "new" at hardware persay. i can take a comp apare and put it back together and i know alot about computers. its just things like the "front side bus" and the "north bridge" that i dont know what they are.
            I think that is silly and would probably be very costly assumung that you would want the best of the best.

Comment

I don't think it is, the hardware requirements required to do tomorrow's tasks is always on the rise so by getting a dual setup today, he will be ready for tomorrow.

Some people told me that 512MB of RAM would have been enough for my desktop in 2003 but I wanted 1GB, so I brought 1GB. Now 1GB is considered "enough."

Comment

Better wait till the summer when Intel bring out their new chip since they are apparently retiring the Prescott models for something else. At least thats what I've heard from a friend in the retail industry.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

id stop taking PC`s to bit if you dont know what the fsb (front side bus) is as you could end up frying processors. Fsb is the rate at which the CPU passes info per second ( i think lol ) but basically they run is frequencys of mhz like 333mhz or 400mhz and if you set them wrong it can lead to :

a.) a pc that wont boot
                  b.) fried cpu`s
                  c.) other weird ****

Comment

Actually, the front-side bus is the speed at which your CPU talks to primary components such as Memory, AGP, certain drive controllers and the PCI controller on your motherboard. Just by putting a Processor into a motherboard, you cannot fry either as long as the front-side bus of the motherboard matches the clearly printed speed on the CPU box. It is only when you start playing with the settings in order to overclock that you have a problem and if you have a low rated chip then any small change can fry the CPU so why bother?

The argument of knowing what FSB and such terms means is good if you are an overclocker but if you just build a system, it really doesn't matter just buy a motherboard that matches your chip. Simple as that. The rest will automatically be setup the first time you boot and the BIOS reads the chip's specifics and sets its defaults.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Building this new insanely fast system and still using your old hardware your proboaly not going to see a huge boost.

Chances are your case wont even fit the new motherboard as dual processor boards are usualy much larger than other boards

Comment

and whats wrong with the xeon? and zach is right but may also depend on what memory you will have

Comment

Personaly im building a system that is somewhat like this one, however im releapacing just about everything by my monitor ^^

Comment

like the pentium or xeon?

Comment

Dual Xeons look in the chitchat for a thread by me, called my computer quest part 2

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X