Power Surges == EVIL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Surges == EVIL!

Well i knew there was a big storm coming but my room is well grounded, i have surge protectors in my room hooked up to everything.

First surge hit and the only computer that shut down was my main one, for some reason the power cable to the psu died on it, by the time i got it fixed the storm had passed for the most part. When i go to plug in my power it works, i boot windows only to find my sound has totaly dissapeard, somthing the instant shutdown from the surge did somthing to my sound, any time i tried to plugin my speakers the system would reset. not to mention windows seemed somewhat laggy and unresponsive in general. >.< needless to say now im sitting on my fresh instaltion, i was able to backup just about everything i needed thankfully ^^

I have almost everything in my room surge protected. The only things in my room that aren't surge protected are the ceiling light and my Wall Air Conditioner. Does anyone know how I could surge protect them as well?

Comment

Might want to look into somthing heavy dutie for a wall AC unit. i know that much

Comment

I have an UPS which actively regulates the power (and will switch to battery on an overvolt, not just an undervolt). Standard APC 350 VA, although it's on a 600W PSU and monitor so it doesn't keep the computer on for too long until automatically making it hibernate.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

It's all about a UPS.

Comment

I know that, it just hasnt been in my budget, ill be getting one when i get my new computer in a few months time

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              Might want to look into somthing heavy dutie for a wall AC unit. i know that much
              Unfortunately I don't know what surge protector is sufficent.

Originally posted by Zachery
              I know that, it just hasnt been in my budget, ill be getting one when i get my new computer in a few months time
              Here is the one I have:

http://buy.apc.com/commerce/storefro...anguageCode=en

I'm only using half capacity and it will last 15 minutes.

If you need it to last longer, you could probably get the high end RS model:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...0%281%29BR24BP

It will allow you to add additional batteries which from what I have read, considerably boost the amount of time it will last in a power outage.

Comment

I have my own ring main to the breaker none of this sharing with other rooms!

Surge protectors are the only thing plugged in to the sockets.
                1 UPS for my linux server since all my data is stored there.

Even my phone lines go through the surge protector though I do have one question, anyone know how to get my cable connection protected? Its really the only way a surge could hit my computer.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I have no surge nor ups systems connected to any of my pcs!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar

Even my phone lines go through the surge protector though I do have one question, anyone know how to get my cable connection protected? Its really the only way a surge could hit my computer.
                    Cablevision told me that they installed fiber on the poles outside of my house so it isn't really a concern of mine although surge protecting it for the heck of it would be nice.

I think they make Cox cable (or whatever the cable wire that runs inside your house is called) surge protectors, you will have to search for them through.

Comment

If you can surge surpress the network cable then you should be fine.

http://www1.shopping.com/xPC-Black_B...otector_SP250A

Expensive. I'm relying on my router, a central hub, and my local hub to destroy themselves before it enters the computer.
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Surge protectors don't do anything, especially since people usually plug in more devices than they can handle...UPS is the way to go.
                        Webmaster / Administrator
                        www.MegaGames.com
                        www.MGForums.com

Comment

Hmmmm... We can buy surge protectors that protect standard RG5 (cable) and RG6 (satellite) here at any electronics store for about $20. Isn't a big deal. All the RG6 cabling is protected this way. Also have a direct ground from my DSS dish to the house ground (copper pole extending 15 feet into the earth).

My smallest surge protector has a $1000 warranty on it and it is on the turtle habitat. The largest which is on my Entertainment center has a $50,000 warranty on it. I have $10,000 warranty protectors on my computers. Nothing electronic plugs into my walls without a surge protector. Nothing plugs into my equipment without a surge protector whether it is CAT7, RG6, Telephone cord or power.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Vile
                            Surge protectors don't do anything, especially since people usually plug in more devices than they can handle...UPS is the way to go.
                            They might not be as safe as a UPS, but they do include a waranty like Wayne said. My current surge protector has a $10,000 waranty which would be more than enough to cover my electronics. I don't protect my lamps, fishy stuff, or fans simply because it costs more to buy quality surge protectors than it does to replace the items.
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                              I don't protect my lamps, fishy stuff, or fans simply because it costs more to buy quality surge protectors than it does to replace the items.
                              Depends... I have a $500 filter system on my turtle habitat. It does 600 gallons per hour (filters the entire tank 8 times per hour) and uses infrared sterilization processes to create cleaner water than that which comes out of most faucets.

Sure, $20 fans and such aren't on surge protectors. But all expensive equipment is.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X