X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (I Believe) Forum Style Concept

Green
    Blue

This is an original (I've never seen it before anyway) forum home concept that my graphics designer came up with a while ago, which uses an icon system for forums. Just wondering what opinions anyone here has on it. Some people on my forum absolutely hate it, while others seem to like it (as I can see, via phpMyadmin, many using it).
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Its not nearly as practicle as the common forum layout, but is simple and clean. If he could construct it to include the lastest post and include some more descriptive icons, it would work perfect.
    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I like it! Good job, unique and looks good. Because we are not used to it we might think it is confusing, but it is actually quite nice to browser through

9 out of 10 on the floris-scale

Comment

I can't speak for my members, but Boy, I love it!

Don't suppose there will be such a thing avalible to the general public?? *bats eyelashes all pretty like* kidding! sort of

hehe

Comment

Iam one of those who hate it
          That's the end of that!

Comment

dont like it, looks to much like erm some kind of basic kids design:S if you get what i mean.

Comment

Its nice to see a new concept for once, but I think that the way in which the forumhome is presented is a little shabby, its clean and smooth which is good but it needs more.. i think. The other thing is that the forumhome is the first thing you see and although clean the rest of the site isnt and soon it becomes cluttered compared to the forumhome

Comment

Nothing new really. It's just utilising stefans forums in columns hack excessively - besides it looks ugly and detracts from the whole idea of activity in a forum. You'll visit there and have no instant indication of how often people are posting (no info on last post etc).
                Last edited by Dean C; Fri 21 May '04, 3:07pm.
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                  Nothing new really. It's jus utilising stefans forums in columns hack excessively - besides it looks ugly and detracts from the whole idea of activity in a forum. You'll visit there and have no instant indication of how often people are posting (no info on last post etc).
                  That was uncalled for. Critizing someones work is ok if you do it a manner that isn't rude. You however were rude. Isn't the first time I've seen you do it either.

I like it. It is clean, fast loading and pleasant on the eyes. Its been a while since we seen any thing original in forum design.
                  Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

I'd probably be one to hate it

It makes it look like there's nothing there, like it's empty. And there's the forum descriptions and last posts, num threads and posts missing.

Comment

I agree with AWS.

Creativity is stunted by those who mock the new.

and BTW most new visitors to forums, or new forum software, don't care about stats - they care about the reason they clicked on your link. Whether you have this style index.php or the traditional format makes no difference. What does however make a difference is usability for ppl new to this type of forums software.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
                        That was uncalled for. Critizing someones work is ok if you do it a manner that isn't rude. You however were rude. Isn't the first time I've seen you do it either.

I like it. It is clean, fast loading and pleasant on the eyes. Its been a while since we seen any thing original in forum design.
                        I'm entitled to express my opinion just as anyone else is here. It wasn't intended to be rude and if you took it that way then my apologies
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I like the concept of presenting each forum as an icon in one row, but as others have said, it could use a little polishing up. I dunno, maybe it would look more organized if there were a background colour behind each row of icons. And I think that it would be neat if the forum icon itself 'lit up' or faded out depending on whether or not it contained new posts, eliminating the need for the envelope icon under each image.
                          http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

I think it's pretty cool.

J.

Comment

Nice to see that some people like it. I'm not really sure how to make things dim out according to whether or not it's been read. I was planning on putting forum use statistics in a mouseover tooltip type of thing over each icon. I just need a standards compliant way of doing so.
                              "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                              "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                              Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Working...
                              X