No announcement yet.

Hard drive died... what about you ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost an 80Gb MAXTOR after a few months. then i got a WD and its been up and running with no problems for over 2 years.

Comment

Whew.

Yep, hard drives tend to take long vacations sometimes.

Luckily my hard drive is still alive and kicking, even though my computer is nearing its third year of service.

Comment

Never had one fail on me personally. I always keep daily backups of my data though, just in case

Comment

Have lost none. I still have my 13 gb WD from 5 years back or more. I dont want to jynx it though *knocks on wood*

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
            Well today my 5 month old drive decided to retire itself
            Call up Maxtor and take them up on their warrenty. If they refuse to honor it, go with Western Digital.

Originally posted by AWS
            I lost a brand new IBM 36Gig 15k3 scsi drive 3 days after I installed it. Luckily it was part of a raid 5 array and I was able to hot swap.
            I was also bit by the IBM Deathstar problem. I had 3 drives die in one month. The original and 2 replacements. Needless to say I don't use IBM drives any longer.
            One thing I learned is heat is the major cause of HD failure. Many people gear all the cooling to the cpu and graphics card and forget about the hd.
            That brings back memories. I remember when my Dell laptop's hard drive died on me (only took a few months). I called up Dell, they sent me a replacement, the replacement died, they sent me another replacement, it died as well, they said that something was causing IBM hard drives to die in my system (I wasn't looking at it the wrong way or anything lol) so they decided to send me a Fuji drive, I've been happy ever since.
            Last edited by Shining Arcanine; Tue 18 May '04, 12:40pm.

Comment

I had only one western digital hard drive die on me, but they were great about replacing it. Gave me a larger one free (even though they could have given me the same one) plus they paid for the shipping both ways

I had problems with SamSung though....and Maxtor...... they seem to die on me about 2-3 years, just right after the warranty expires.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

My very first Seagate drive died. This was a couple months ago.

WD drives have always been great for me, I just wanted to try another. Strange, eh?
                Pluh.com (random nonsense) - Psychostick.com (my stupid band) - Collectiveunderground.com (AZ local music site) - Evacuatechicago.com

Comment

I've had no problems with Maxtor or WD.

Currently I've got Maxtor 120 GB x2 and Maxtor 160 GB without any problems.
                  Webmaster / Administrator
                  www.MegaGames.com
                  www.MGForums.com

Comment

Both my Maxtors died, one a 60GB and one a 40GB, both had a lot of my old files from design work I did for the past 3 years. I still have them, hoping I can recover the data some day, but I only use Western Digital now, they have given me no problem.

Comment

There are data recovery companies out there. They charge an arm and a leg through.

Comment

Lost my 100 GB 4 MB cache Western Digital HD last month. Had it for about 2 years.

Luckily I was able to get everything off it.

Replaced it with a Seagate 80 GB HD 8 MB Cache, and just got a 120 GB Seagate 8 MB cache for 39$ from Frys

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                          Call up Maxtor and take them up on their warrenty. If they refuse to honor it, go with Western Digital.
                          I've logged an RMA with the retailer i got the drive from. Seems Maxtor online RMA doesn't list Australia for direct RMA's, I have to either go through my retailer or local Aussie Maxtor disties authorised to handle RMAs heh
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I had a 120gig 7200rpm Hitachi die on me a month ago. This replacement is also making odd noises.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. HillBilly
                              Lost my 100 GB 4 MB cache Western Digital HD last month. Had it for about 2 years.

Luckily I was able to get everything off it.

Replaced it with a Seagate 80 GB HD 8 MB Cache, and just got a 120 GB Seagate 8 MB cache for 39$ from Frys
                              Don't you mean 8MB cache?

Also, that drive is pretty solid, it shouldn't have died on you.

Comment

Over the years I think i've had 5 drives go, they have all been Maxtor. They were all replaced, some times with bigger drives. Though it was a pain at the time.
                                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X