Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if there was no Bill Gates, Paul Allen - or anybody else that did what they did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if there was no Bill Gates, Paul Allen - or anybody else that did what they did?

Just curious - not trying to start a flame war, but just an actual - what would have happened. Honestly to be able to answer the question truefully, you would have to be able to remember the computer market of the 80s, preferebly you can remember that first time you got color on the screen and got all excited and giddy about it. Look a blue square, and I made the computer go beep

This is what I think the three possibilites are that would have happened with out Gates/or someone like Gates....

1) IBM still has little blinking boxes, takes them another year, but they finally find some junkyard to buy IBMOS from for 50,000. They do not share, hold everything in tight, as was the common mode of operation of the time (see Apple Computer). IBM compatible term is never born, as nothing is actually IBM compatible, its in fact all IBM. IBM now, in 2004 would control the software and the hardware markets completely.

2) Apple Computer ends up controling everything - both software and hardware, and since they have never shown a penchant for sharing anything, again - same as if it was IBM, there is no compatibles, its all Apple/Mac.

3) The world splinters into 100 groups the size of todays Linux users. Software prices are beyond reach because nobody can effectively develope anything for any large enough market to generate a profit based on mass use. Software and hardware development is still in the 486 generation because nobody is able to work towards a common environment.

somehow i fear that "3" had happend........
    Originally Posted by Zachery
    John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
    We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

option 2 although up until the recently would have been nothing but purple and depressent grey. Tho in saying that wed all have super sexy hardware now.....

.... but thats happened hasnt it

Comment

Originally posted by Zecherieh
        and since they have never shown a penchant for sharing anything, again - same as if it was IBM, there is no compatibles, its all Apple/Mac.
        Just a small question (not trying to flame or anything) - where do you get the idea that Apple doesn't share anything? Or are you talking about the way they were back in the 80's only (in which case nevermind my question )? I can list a bunch of things they "share" nowadays...

Comment

We would probably still have the computers that were around in the 1960s...

Comment

Look at linux back in the early 90's, if there was no microsoft, or apple; IBM would not have it all!

There are, from time to time, minds that need to make a statement!
            Even if 'there was no Gates', there would be someone else who would come up with something at the right time, and something that could grow to be no.1 ...

Just think of the evolution of IT/internet and (why not) vBulletin itself?
            It's a matter of joining imagination or necessity with knowledge and very good timing! Mix it up and come up with a good (or The Right) product at the right time, it's the miracle of birth of something greater than the developer
            Last edited by Dani; Thu 13 May '04, 7:48pm.
            ~ Dani
            People are kind of like flowers ...
            And it's been a pleasure walking in your garden.
            My love will remain here with you :D

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMac
              Just a small question (not trying to flame or anything) - where do you get the idea that Apple doesn't share anything? Or are you talking about the way they were back in the 80's only (in which case nevermind my question )? I can list a bunch of things they "share" nowadays...
              Yes I am talking about how they where back in the 80s, when they had the superior platform and let it die because everybody else could use that MS/IBM DOS thing.

I truly do believe that IBM would be so big now it would not even be funny, I remember the first time other little computers started coming out, that where not IBM, and thinking what garbage.... who would ever buy something called gateway - jeez

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                We would probably still have the computers that were around in the 1960s...
                I tend to agree...thats why I said "or anybody else"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X