• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• merk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamslam
    Wow... I got the job!

It was infinitely easier than what I was prepared for. Literally, the only question that even made me think was "why did you chose showcase cinemas"... and of course I was prepared for that.

Other than that, they were simply straight forward questions like 'do you have transportation', 'can you work nights, weekends, and holidays'... just your basic stuff... We even had a conversation about the kind of car I drive, and the origin of my name. It boiled down to 'so do you want the job?'...

And thanks to all of you who helped! I appreciate it!
    Well done!

Leave a comment:

• merk
    replied
    Originally posted by Zecherieh
    But you see...

They do not care if its your first job, or your 87th job. They care about only getting the best people, for the lowest price. And how many accomplishments is someone going for their first job gonna have? I mean I am sure that first place in Hog Raising at the county fair is impressive and all....but does not have much carry over effect to a movie theatre.
    And asking a question about why the person wants a job is totally irrelevant to determining if they are going to be a decent worker / employee.

Heck, asking people about opinions on things currently in the news, or about abstract things will give you a much clearer opinion of the person.

Any accomplishments help - i was awarded the Queen Scout award which no doubt helped me get to the interview of 2 jobs i applied for. Just because you dont believe winning a Hog Raising contest isnt cool, doesnt mean an employer wont!

Leave a comment:

• MasterMac
    replied
    Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• jamslam
    replied
    Wow... I got the job!

It was infinitely easier than what I was prepared for. Literally, the only question that even made me think was "why did you chose showcase cinemas"... and of course I was prepared for that.

Other than that, they were simply straight forward questions like 'do you have transportation', 'can you work nights, weekends, and holidays'... just your basic stuff... We even had a conversation about the kind of car I drive, and the origin of my name. It boiled down to 'so do you want the job?'...

And thanks to all of you who helped! I appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• Zecherieh
    replied
    Originally posted by merk
    I dont believe it is a good question to ask a teenager going for their first job. To me, everyone already knows this question gets asked, and will have an answer prepared (that generally will be what the interviewer wants to hear) regardless of what really want.

I would personally ask more questions about past achievements and goals for the future, over "why should we hire you?"

It took me quite a while to work out the reason for the circle man-hole covers when i was first asked, but it makes sense when its asked. Though, knowing the answer spoils the reason it was being asked
    But you see...

They do not care if its your first job, or your 87th job. They care about only getting the best people, for the lowest price. And how many accomplishments is someone going for their first job gonna have? I mean I am sure that first place in Hog Raising at the county fair is impressive and all....but does not have much carry over effect to a movie theatre.

Leave a comment:

• merk
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    With all due respect, that's not a stupid question at all. If you can't think of a good reason they should hire you, then you can't expect them to come up with one.

The strangest question I was ever asked was when I was interviewing for a fairly high level job - Plant Manager of a new polycarbonmate lens production facility. The VP asked me, in a serious tone:

"Why are all manhole covers all over the world always round?"

By the way, that question is actually a very clever one and a good test of a person's reasoning abilities.
    I dont believe it is a good question to ask a teenager going for their first job. To me, everyone already knows this question gets asked, and will have an answer prepared (that generally will be what the interviewer wants to hear) regardless of what really want.

I would personally ask more questions about past achievements and goals for the future, over "why should we hire you?"

It took me quite a while to work out the reason for the circle man-hole covers when i was first asked, but it makes sense when its asked. Though, knowing the answer spoils the reason it was being asked

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Just wondering, if it was cinemark i could lead you thought the interview

Leave a comment:

• bahbah
    replied
    Learn about the company indepth before showing up. Visit their website, have a conversation about it planned in your mind.

Jobs I have been for have asked me that question. The first time they did it I hadn't read up on it, and I felt lost.

Now whenever I interview people for jobs I always ask them that question. It seperates the job drifters from those who want to work at the company.

Leave a comment:

• jamslam
    replied
    wow.. that's definitely an odd question.

But I will make sure to think up plenty of questions

Leave a comment:

• hypedave
    replied
    think of plenty questions you can ask the person hiring you just in case he says something like "Is there anything you would like to know about this job"

The most weird question I was ever asked during a interview was by a woman, she asked me "So how do I look, do you think im ugly, attractive, sexy or worthy to take to bed" I had to use smart judgement and say "Isn't it against company policy to ask me a question like" but man was she fine.

Leave a comment:

• jamslam
    replied
    "Showcase Cinema"

It's a pretty big one, then one i'm applying for is being built now (it will be ready supposedly by the end of June), and it has 14 theatres

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Are you applying at a cinemark?

Leave a comment:

• jamslam
    replied
    All very good suggestions, thanks

But yea, it's just for some regular position... i didn't apply for any particular one. Just something like a cashier or an usher...

But yea, I bet they will ask me that "why do you want to work here" question, i'll definitely think about that

BTW Jerry, I heard I get two free tickets a week but that's just what i heard... hehe

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Have some questions for them showing that you have though about the job and what it might entail and have some intrest.

Movie theatre, hmmm, depends on what you are doing but its going to be dealing with the public unless you are the camera man .... probally not something like this though "Do I get loads of free tickets ?" or "Can I watch the 21 or XXX movies ?"

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Glad i never got that one asked here... or did i...

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X