job interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• job interview

Well, I know I don't post here much, but I read almost every thread in this forum

Basically, I am going for my very first job interview on friday, and I am just wondering what I can do to increase my chances of getting the job (just turning 17 in july, it would be my first job... it's at a movie theatre). Besides of course having good manners and such.

So if any of you could share maybe some mistakes or good things to do at a job interview, so I can increase my changes? That would be great

Thanks for your time.
    -jamslam
    http://www.webtrickscentral.com/images/wtcsig.jpg

Dress nicely, sell yourself, act mature, strong handshake (limp handshake == bad).

What type of job, specifically? Make sure you know the subject at hand because the interviewer will likely ask you questions about it to guage if you know what you're talking about. Bring a work sample if applicable.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

My first job interview was strange. I went for a retail job at the local music store (which i got), and the most stupid question they ask in my experience, is "why should i hire you", make sure you think up a good line to reply to that one.

I was also asked to sell the interviewer his pen, which might not apply to your interview!

Dont be nervous about it, be human.

Comment

Originally posted by merk
        I went for a retail job at the local music store (which i got), and the most stupid question they ask in my experience, is "why should i hire you", make sure you think up a good line to reply to that one.
        With all due respect, that's not a stupid question at all. If you can't think of a good reason they should hire you, then you can't expect them to come up with one.

The strangest question I was ever asked was when I was interviewing for a fairly high level job - Plant Manager of a new polycarbonmate lens production facility. The VP asked me, in a serious tone:

"Why are all manhole covers all over the world always round?"

By the way, that question is actually a very clever one and a good test of a person's reasoning abilities.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          With all due respect, that's not a stupid question at all. If you can't think of a good reason they should hire you, then you can't expect them to come up with one.

The strangest question I was ever asked was when I was interviewing for a fairly high level job - Plant Manager of a new polycarbonmate lens production facility. The VP asked me, in a serious tone:

By the way, that question is actually a very clever one and a good test of a person's reasoning abilities.
          Because the holes they cover are round?

Or how bout the fact that sqaure covers would break more easly then round ones made the same way.

not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
            Because the holes they cover are round?

Or how bout the fact that sqaure covers would break more easly then round ones made the same way.

not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering is all.
            http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/corner...sp?id=am030716
            -Neal

Comment

Good link *bookmarks*

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol

I agree...Asking why they should hire you is definitely not a bad question. Most people I've spoken with ask that, and similar questions like why you want to work there, and so on.

As mentioned above, dress nice, act mature. Just be honest, and think before you the questions. Tell them how you'll be able to help the company, the good things you can bring them, and so on.

@Steve Machol:
                Most manholes are round, because the design makes it so the cover won't fall into the hole
                (A triangle shape would also work, which is why some manholes are triangular shape)
                Webmaster / Administrator
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

That is a good question, and usually the most difficult. I usually say that I'd like to help the company/customers, stuff like that.

Comment

Glad i never got that one asked here... or did i...

Comment

Have some questions for them showing that you have though about the job and what it might entail and have some intrest.

Movie theatre, hmmm, depends on what you are doing but its going to be dealing with the public unless you are the camera man .... probally not something like this though "Do I get loads of free tickets ?" or "Can I watch the 21 or XXX movies ?"

I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

All very good suggestions, thanks

But yea, it's just for some regular position... i didn't apply for any particular one. Just something like a cashier or an usher...

But yea, I bet they will ask me that "why do you want to work here" question, i'll definitely think about that

BTW Jerry, I heard I get two free tickets a week but that's just what i heard... hehe

Comment

Are you applying at a cinemark?

Comment

"Showcase Cinema"

It's a pretty big one, then one i'm applying for is being built now (it will be ready supposedly by the end of June), and it has 14 theatres

Comment

think of plenty questions you can ask the person hiring you just in case he says something like "Is there anything you would like to know about this job"

The most weird question I was ever asked during a interview was by a woman, she asked me "So how do I look, do you think im ugly, attractive, sexy or worthy to take to bed" I had to use smart judgement and say "Isn't it against company policy to ask me a question like" but man was she fine.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X