XP-SP2 for all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nebby
    If MS reduced their OS prices a little, then more people would buy.
    Their prices are already the lowest among any other commercial software package. The upgrade from 98 to XP Home retails for $79.00 (US) currently. The upgrade from Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.3 retails for $129.95 currently. Redhat retails for $129.00 and up depending on the version. Suse Professional is $89.95. AIX costs per processor as do most other commercial Unix OSes. Etc...

Everyone complains about prices but Windows is already fairly cheap. I upgraded my machines from Windows 98SE in 2002. That means I used the software for 3 years for an average license cost of $30.00 per year. With XP, I will get 4 years of use out of it before Longhorn and at $80 retail, that is only $20.00 per year. Heck, I can't even go to a decent lunch with my wife for such a low cost.

Please note: I am specifically not comparing Open Source distributions of Linux and this is not an invitation for Linux users to start their propagandizing yet again.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

All distributions of Linux are open source...

And wouldn't SuSE being $89 for pro and somewhere near $49 for home make it the cheapest commercial OS? Since those are full OSes and not upgrades compare them to the prices of the full versions.

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
        And wouldn't SuSE being $89 for pro and somewhere near $49 for home make it the cheapest commercial OS? Since those are full OSes and not upgrades compare them to the prices of the full versions.
        Didn't know there was a Home version. Only the Pro version is available at retail here and it cost me $89.00 to upgrade from 8.0 to 9.0 so I would consider it an upgrade price.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          The upgrade from Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.3 retails for $129.95 currently.
          Well, there is no "Upgrade" CD normally, like there is with other OS's where you have a seperate disk for full installs and a seperate one for upgrades. That one CD of OS X for $129 works as an upgrade disk from any version of OS X or as a full install disk.

The only real upgrade disk you'll see with OS X is if you purchase a machine after they announce the next version of OS X (like, if you buy one with 10.2 installed a few weeks before 10.3 hits shelves), in which case you can get a special upgrade-only disk for $20.

Comment

So unless you get lucky with a "few week" window, then it is $129.95 to upgrade to the newest Macintosh OS?

I think that is what I said originally. What point is it in arguing semantics? If I went into the store today to purchase a disc to upgrade a Macintosh to 10.3 it would cost me $129.95, that is all that really matters isn't it?

It might come to a shock to some but there is no difference between a Windows Upgrade disk and a Windows Full Installation disk either except for a version check in the upgrade application. Both are capable of doing a complete install from scratch as well.

Wayne Luke

Comment

You can get full XP Home & Pro OEM copys for about half the price, from vendors and such, granted your willing to buy a peice of hardware

CDRW + Windows XP PRo == 200 us

A local place sells OEM copys if you buy a peice of hardware works well for me

Comment

I wasn't trying to prove any point, just wanted to correct your post (it's boring here in chem class so I had nothing else to do )

And with your last paragraph, the same applies to the OS X disks too
                I was lucky and got the upgrade disk (legally) and just removed a file from the CD, reburned it, and I just saved $110

Comment

Local college gives Windows Copies and keys away for free....I long since quit those evil evil ways

Its paid with my technology fee or something along those lines.

Comment

whens sp 2 come out?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                      You can get full XP Home & Pro OEM copys for about half the price, from vendors and such, granted your willing to buy a peice of hardware

CDRW + Windows XP PRo == 200 us

A local place sells OEM copys if you buy a peice of hardware works well for me
                      Usually they just give you a free cable or something

Comment

Originally posted by Marco
                        Get a replacement disc. Won't cost more than $10USD at most. You already own the licenses, you just need the media.
                        Where? How do I prove I have a legal copy, mail em my three cases with the windows sticker on them?

Comment

Contact Microsoft Support.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X