Computer help! (please help me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help! (please help me)

I just got a ECS K7VZA to replace my old broken motherboard. I also have a NI PCI Geforce2 MX 400 64mb graphics card. I just put everything together correctly about 5 hours ago and now the video won't work when I turn on the pc. I can't even get to the CMOS to change settings or anything. I know the graphic card works and everything because it worked just recently. And the manual has no help in it and it also has no onboard video. If anyone can help me fix this I'd be very grateful!

Thank you!

-Dan

Make sure that the video card is properly inserted into the AGP slot. You should have heard a pop if you properly inserted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
      Make sure that the video card is properly inserted into the AGP slot. You should have heard a pop if you properly inserted it.
      *rehighlights the words PCI in his first post*

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
        You may have to use an AGP card. Not all motherboards support PCI video anymore.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
          I just got a ECS K7VZA to replace my old broken motherboard. I also have a NI PCI Geforce2 MX 400 64mb graphics card. I just put everything together correctly about 5 hours ago and now the video won't work when I turn on the pc. I can't even get to the CMOS to change settings or anything. I know the graphic card works and everything because it worked just recently. And the manual has no help in it and it also has no onboard video. If anyone can help me fix this I'd be very grateful!

Thank you!

-Dan
          If it was not in PCI slot 0 (or 1, whatever), put it there. If it was, move it to a different slot. Also try clearing the BIOS settings via the jumper.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
            If the motherboard supports PCI video cards, you may need a AGP card to configure it to use the PCI video card.

Also, make sure that the card is properly inserted into the PCI slot.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              You may have to use an AGP card. Not all motherboards support PCI video anymore.
              Are you sure? Please say no because I don't have the money for a new graphics card.

Originally posted by filburt1
              If it was not in PCI slot 0 (or 1, whatever), put it there. If it was, move it to a different slot. Also try clearing the BIOS settings via the jumper.
              I put it in all 5 slots and it still doesn't work. I also did clear the BIOS several times to be sure.

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
              If the motherboard supports PCI video cards, you may need a AGP card to configure it to use the PCI video card.

Also, make sure that the card is properly inserted into the PCI slot. :P
              Why wouldn't it support PCI Video cards? As I said above I have next to no money left so I can't go out and buy a new AGP card. Yes it is seated properly.

Thanks!

Comment

AGP cards are not that expensive, provided you are not a gamer. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...478614284&rd=1 for $12 + $4 shipping.

I don't think it is a BIOS support issue if it was working before and suddenly stopped; more likely the video card died.

Comment

There is a BIOS setting that lets you choose between AGP and PCI video. In my BIOS it's called Graphics Adapter Priority; if that is set to AGP/PCI then it will boot off an AGP video card. Sounds like in your case it should be set to PCI/AGP instead, but ofcourse if you can't even get into the BIOS setup that would be a problem... heh :/

Maybe you could borrow someone's AGP card, change the setting and take it out again?

Comment

Originally posted by Marco
                    There is a BIOS setting that lets you choose between AGP and PCI video. In my BIOS it's called Graphics Adapter Priority; if that is set to AGP/PCI then it will boot off an AGP video card. Sounds like in your case it should be set to PCI/AGP instead, but ofcourse if you can't even get into the BIOS setup that would be a problem... heh :/

Maybe you could borrow someone's AGP card, change the setting and take it out again?
                    Thats what I'm thinking.

First bood device.. PCI or AGP yours is probably set to AGP.
                    The Junkyard | Terragen Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Marco

In the case of my BIOS (on an Asus P4P800), that simply means just that--the priority. If the AGP card was not found, it would switch to the PCI card that I had in at the same time. Discovered this because to get the hard drive assembly out, I had to remove the video card which was blocking it, but I had a PCI card in at the same time for dual monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                        Are you sure? Please say no because I don't have the money for a new graphics card.
                        Yes, I am sure. My motherboard does not support PCI as the Primary Video Card. You can only use a PCI card to power a secondary monitor. The primary video must come from either the onboard video chip or an AGP card.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                          In the case of my BIOS (on an Asus P4P800), that simply means just that--the priority. If the AGP card was not found, it would switch to the PCI card that I had in at the same time. Discovered this because to get the hard drive assembly out, I had to remove the video card which was blocking it, but I had a PCI card in at the same time for dual monitors.
                          Yeah, I have the same motherboard.
                          But yeah, thinking about it should probably switch to PCI video if there's no AGP card present. Then again, he's using an ECS motherboard

Comment