Banning people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banning people

Well I have come arcoss the unfortunite road of having to ban people for trying to hack that admin account. I know these people can change their ip address very quickly though ipconfig and other means what is a way to ban them so they won't come back or do I just keep banning their ips until they get tired of it?
    Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

There is no banning method that is 100%.

If I were you I would just enable the Strikes system so they can't brute force your password. Changing IPs would be useless because the strikes are recorded for the account they are attempting to login to, not for their IP.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Use Login "Strikes" System

Comment

Most effective:

Regular Ban + Members Moderation
      IP Range Ban
      Cookie Ban via .htaccess

Comment

I do have the strikes system enabled that is how I found out they where trying to hack my account.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
          Most effective:

IP Range Ban
          Cookie Ban via .htaccess
          How do you do a cookie ban?

Comment

Originally posted by briangumble
            How do you do a cookie ban?
            Search for it:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...+ban+.htaccess

Just be sure that they are logged into the account with the user id you specify when you upload the .htaccess with their user id.

Comment

Isn't the problem that the users are trying to hack his admin account? That is independant of the registration system.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                Most effective:

IP Range Ban
                Cookie Ban via .htaccess
                While at the moment I do have a relatively small board, but in the near furture I hope to have several registrations a day and a perfer not to have to moderate them all as it is more time for me and it is denying them the right to post until I get the time to moderate them which could lead to people registering, but not coming back.

IP range really isn't good either as banning the numbers that are the same numbers everytime in his IP address would block me as well we have the same ISP I know this.

Cookie ban isn't really all that great either because if he can change his IP I hope that he can clear his cookies as well.

We are talking about 13-16 year olds doing this. I don't want to sterotype the age group but these few make the rest of us look bad and me being only 17 I can't just not allow the age group to post either.

As an update I have actually tried the trancy feature and they seem to be unaware of it at the moment so hopefully that will keep them busy and get them uninterested and they will go away.

Comment

.htaccess the admin panel? So if they DO get in your account they wont be able to get through the htaccess screen.

Comment

Cookie ban isn't really all that great either because if he can change his IP I hope that he can clear his cookies as well.
                    95% of people you do this to you will never hear from again. It has worked wonders for me.

Comment

Well at the current moment I know for a fact he can delete his cookies. That is how he got out of his account anyways so he can try to login to my account.

@Jimmy Kane: I already have the admin control panel .htaccessed so he wouldn't have been able to get in there. Plus I don't think he knows where it is at. Really I just wanted to keep them off the forums because the continue to register and spam the forums up making me clean up their mess everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrix
                        Well at the current moment I know for a fact he can delete his cookies. That is how he got out of his account anyways so he can try to login to my account.

@Jimmy Kane: I already have the admin control panel .htaccessed so he wouldn't have been able to get in there. Plus I don't think he knows where it is at. Really I just wanted to keep them off the forums because the continue to register and spam the forums up making me clean up their mess everytime.
                        A co admin? supermods with banning ability?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                          There is no banning method that is 100%.

If I were you I would just enable the Strikes system so they can't brute force your password. Changing IPs would be useless because the strikes are recorded for the account they are attempting to login to, not for their IP.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Use Login "Strikes" System
                          What he said. There is a way round most other things.
                          .htaccess is good though.
                          The Junkyard | Terragen Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Surrix

To my knowledge users in the banned user group can still log out, there is no permission setting that states that they can't.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X