Windows problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows problem

Okay. I have a Windows 95 computer and tried upgrading to 98. But during the install an error accured(sp) and I had to restart. Now when I boot up the system, I get the following error.

Starting Windows 95

C:\>C:\WINDOWS\lsl.com
    Bad command or file name

Microsoft WorkGroups ODI/NDIS3 Mapper Version 2.0
    ERROR: cannot find LSL
    ODI/NDIS3 MAPPER: Initialization Failure
    Press any key to continue
    After I press a key, it brings me to command prompt. Now I can boot up in Safe Mode with Network Support but nothing else. I've tried searching the web, but I cannot seem to find anything or I am looking in the wrong spots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Scrubby; Thu 29 Apr '04, 11:46am.

Reformat and install Windows XP.

Comment

Or to resolve this problem, delete your autoexec.bat and config.sys files so you stop using obsolete 16 bit drivers.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

First off, the computer is so outdated, XP would probably kill it. LMAO. But I am off to remove those files and I will report back. .

Comment

Well I removed those files Wayne and when it boots up, it taKes me to command propmt. Now I am lost. LOL.

Starting Windows 95

Microsoft(R) Windows 95
          (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1996

C:\>_

Comment

If you really must install 98, you're better off reformatting the drive first. Installing over 95 can be (and will be) a nightmare, as you are starting to find out.
            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

The only problem is that the only Windows disk I have is an upgrade disk and it will only work if there is another version installed. If I reformat the drive, won't it remove everything? If so, I won't be able to install it then will I?

Comment

Ah, yes, I hadn't thought of that possibility. Yes, you will have to leave 95 on there then. As to getting it done, it's been so long since I worked with 95/98 that I wouldn't dare advise you on anything. Sorry, hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Have you tried anything at the prompt at all?

Comment

I really never played in DOS before. The only things I know are to change directories, format, fdsik and that is about it. Never really used it for anything else.

Comment

I'm going to dig deep into what memory I have left, and suggest this:

Make sure the Win98 CD is in the CD-ROM drive, and at the prompt, type setup. If that doesn't work, try setup windows. That's all I can remember offhand.

Comment

Ever thought of trying a linux distro as an alternative?

Its a great way to make an old PC usable. There is also some livecds about if you want to test before you install stuff to the hard drive.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Linux doesn't make even a modern computer usable.

As long as you have proof of an earlier version of Windows (Windows 95 CD in this case), the upgrade will work. It should simply ask you for the Windows 95 CD sometime during the installation.
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Don't know linux and I do not have the 95 dsk as the computer is used. . I do not belive it picks up the cd-rom in DOS. I tried changing thje boot sequence in BIOS, but with no luck.

Comment

If you computer is so old that it initially came with w/95 i suggest just buying a new comp. Prices are low..

Comment

LOL. I'd really like to buy a new computer sometime in the near future, but I would really like to get 98 installed on this one before anything else. But by the looks of it I may be screwed unless I can dig up a 95 disk somewher ein the house (not likely). LOL.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X