Can't Decide What Card to Get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Decide What Card to Get

I'm 16, and my parents are letting me get a video card for my 17th birday on may 2. We've narrowed it down according to how much quality I want and how much I'm willing to spend. Right now, I'm torn between 2 cards:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=88374&m=0

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=74166&m=0

Pros of the GeForce:

- I already have a GeForce 4 MX 420 on my computer, so I know I can count on nvidia to work properly.

Cons of the GeForce:

- GeForce's main thing occording to the discription is they're filtering. I absolutely dispise my GeForce 4's filtering. On Doomsday, the Doom Marine's normally pixelized face is so blurry that I had to shrink the status bar to hid it. I much prefer pixelization over trying to make it so blurry you can't see anything.

- The ratings on that site are considerably lower for it.

Pros of ATI

- Every member of a group of friends I hang out with has ATI on their custom-built computers. They love it.

- The ratings on that site for it are a good deal higher than the GeForce

Cons of ATI

- My Mom said she looked into it and found a site where a huge number of people reported stability problems when using this card.

- I don't know if it will work properly on a Dell.

I know very little about this stuff, so I really don't which to pick. I have until May 2 to decide. Which one would you guys recommend?

Edit: I'd like to be able to use a 1600 x 1200 desktop resolution (No, I'm not crazy, I can see computer monitors really well), something my current card can't do unless I'm in safe mode (???). Can either of these do this?
    Last edited by Kamex; Sun 25 Apr '04, 5:41pm.

Right now im building a new super type computer and im looking at a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO or AIW.

Ive never been a big fan of Nvidia personaly but others will tell you differntly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      Right now im building a new super type computer and im looking at a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO or AIW.

Ive never been a big fan of Nvidia personaly but others will tell you differntly.
      Do you know if the ATI I might get will do a 1600 x 1200 desktop res?

Comment

My 8500 supports way higher than 1600x1200 im positive the 9800 will too.

Comment

Get an ATI card. You won't be disappointed.

Originally posted by Kamex
          Cons of ATI

- My Mom said she looked into it and found a site where a huge number of people reported stability problems when using this card.

- I don't know if it will work properly on a Dell.
          1. A large number of people reporting stability problems are people who didn't properly uninstall their Nvidia drivers and software.

2. Dell sells ATI cards, I think they are normally the default.

Originally posted by Kamex
          Do you know if the ATI I might get will do a 1600 x 1200 desktop res?
          According to:

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon98...pro/specs.html

The maximum is 2048x1536 resolution. Sorry to disappoint you.

Comment

In laptops they push the cheeper brands by defualt, i needed to upgrade my Nvidia Go Video card to a ATI Radeon 9000 Mobiility ^^

Comment

get the ATI, ATI is better than nVidia. and if my SIS onboard gfx card can go to 1600x1200 im sure that one will.

Comment

Originally posted by rnawky
                ATI is better than nVidia
                That's the kind of fanboy-ism that really invalidates the post. I myself prefer nVidia because of their really nice software that comes with it while I find ATI's mostly annoying and not very useful. But in this case I'd have to recommend the ATI card.
                "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

I dont like the fact that nvidia doesnt make their own cards, and just sells off the rights to make it to every other person in the market where as ATI does sell off their technology however they also make their own cards.

Comment

While my personal preference is nVidia mainly because of their drivers, it is just that for most people--a personal preference. One thing that should be agreed upon is that you should not buy a card from a brick-and-mortar store, but from an online source where you can save at least $50 or more.
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I dont like the fact that nvidia doesnt make their own cards, and just sells off the rights to make it to every other person in the market where as ATI does sell off their technology however they also make their own cards.
                      See I am the opposite. By not selling cards themselves, NVidia can concentrate on creating better products instead of dealing with the retail channel. This in turn brings a better product to the market in my opinion. You can also look around and find different makers with the same chipset which encourages competition and price reduction. I can't find any ATI based cards except those made by ATI where I shop and there is usually a price premium on that. In fact if you look at the two cards linked above, the ATI card is $30 higher simply because it is ATI. There are no added features or bonuses.

Heck does the ATI card even support DVI? Might be an important consideration if you want to switch to an LCD or use DUAL monitors.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Almost all latest cards support DVI.

I have been browsing around for months now for cards and I still can't pick.

50% says ati, and 50% says nvidia. I can't choose!

I have decided to wait until the x800 and 6800 are both available in our country and the prices drop for the 9800 and 5950 cards. Then I just go with my budget to the store, ask them which they have IN the store and check the price and take the one they have. The cards will be overkill anyway, so it doesn't really matter. In 3 months from now all games will run as crappy again, just like they do now (Which is still quite pleasing enough for mohaa or far cry or ut2004 for my geforce2 64mb pro for this system.)

Comment

I have a 9800 Pro and can't speak enough good things about it. My friend next door has a eVGA 5900 and I beat him in FPS and maximizing game settings. I've never had issues where the card locks up, or poops out. I do like nVidia and their drivers, but ATi does beat them on performance and game support.
                          Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                            That's the kind of fanboy-ism that really invalidates the post. I myself prefer nVidia because of their really nice software that comes with it while I find ATI's mostly annoying and not very useful. But in this case I'd have to recommend the ATI card.
                            So you support what he said.

I thought they did, I guess I'm not buying a Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra anytime soon.

Originally posted by tgillespie
                            I have a 9800 Pro and can't speak enough good things about it. My friend next door has a eVGA 5900 and I beat him in FPS and maximizing game settings. I've never had issues where the card locks up, or poops out. I do like nVidia and their drivers, but ATi does beat them on performance and game support.
                            I have an ATI AIW 9700 Pro and I love it. It plays Nvidia's dawn demo really well.

Another con of Nvidia is that the GeForce 5900 required that the drivers be loaded with "optimizations" (precompiled stuff, sacrafice of image quality, etc) to get decent performance in games because they went out of the DX9 specification. That also made the lives of game devs extremely difficult (reason why Doom 3 is taking so long). ATI didn't do that.
                            Last edited by Shining Arcanine; Mon 26 Apr '04, 2:18am.

Comment

I am afraid I end up with a ati 9800 xp 256mb card from asus for $375

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X