Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    I just use Meld (or Beyond Compare and Notepad on Windows) to update the files in about 30 minutes or so, although updating the templates takes a bit longer.

Leave a comment:

• Chroder
    replied
    Originally posted by rebelsrock06
    yeah it really sux when you upgrade cuz you have to do it allllll over again
    No kidding I'm usually stuck for emotions, I want new releases but I don't want to reapply my hacks

Leave a comment:

• rebelsrock06
    replied
    yeah it really sux when you upgrade cuz you have to do it allllll over again

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
    A hack by definition is a quick and dirty way of doing things... At least that is what I thought.
    Correct, although in this context, the term also somehow became applicable for editing vB code.

It is virtually always preferable to do anything but edit the PHP files for two reasons: ease of upgradability, and stability.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Gwynne
    replied
    Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
    A hack by definition is a quick and dirty way of doing things... At least that is what I thought.
    Not really..

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied

Leave a comment:

• insanctus
    replied
    A 'hack' is to edit any php file....... if you only work in templates then it is a 'template mod'

Leave a comment:

• Stachel
    started a topic What makes a hack a hack?

What makes a hack a hack?

What makes a hack, a "hack"?

From a different thread, I have the impression from the Steve Machol person that using a conditional <if $vb....> to solve a problem is better than installing a hack, because then it's easier to upgrade.

Up to that point I thought I was creating a "hack" because I was modifying my forums' skin code.

So what makes a hack, a Hack?

Stachel
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X