Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a hack a hack?

What makes a hack, a "hack"?

From a different thread, I have the impression from the Steve Machol person that using a conditional <if $vb....> to solve a problem is better than installing a hack, because then it's easier to upgrade.

Up to that point I thought I was creating a "hack" because I was modifying my forums' skin code.

So what makes a hack, a Hack?

Stachel

A 'hack' is to edit any php file....... if you only work in templates then it is a 'template mod'

Comment

A hack by definition is a quick and dirty way of doing things... At least that is what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
        A hack by definition is a quick and dirty way of doing things... At least that is what I thought.
        Not really..

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
          Correct, although in this context, the term also somehow became applicable for editing vB code.

It is virtually always preferable to do anything but edit the PHP files for two reasons: ease of upgradability, and stability.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

yeah it really sux when you upgrade cuz you have to do it allllll over again
            Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

Originally posted by rebelsrock06
              yeah it really sux when you upgrade cuz you have to do it allllll over again
              No kidding I'm usually stuck for emotions, I want new releases but I don't want to reapply my hacks

Comment

I just use Meld (or Beyond Compare and Notepad on Windows) to update the files in about 30 minutes or so, although updating the templates takes a bit longer.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X