My beloved iPod...... not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    My computer is less than 2 years old and doesn't have Firewire on it. I saw no need when I purchased the motherboard. Doubt the computer that I purchase in the next few months will have it either. Again I see no personal need.
    Neither does my several-month-old motherboard. For better or for worse (worse, IMO, because Firewire has more uses and can be faster), USB 2.0 is to PCs as Firewire is to Macs.

I believe USB 2.0 requires more processor overhead and thus performs slower than Firewire.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
      I believe USB 2.0 requires more processor overhead and thus performs slower than Firewire.
      Right on the money. I transfer files lots faster to my iPod rather than my USB 2.0 external HD, and the CPU usage goes psycho once I start transferring.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
      http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
        Comes down to devices though... Unless a purchase a digital video camera (and the one I want burns directly to DVD) or an iPOD (not likely), I do not see a single other purpose for Firewire. And yes, I know there are portable firewire harddrives but I have no personal need for one of these. However USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with my printers, PDAs, webcameras, 2 keyboards and 3 mice.

Maybe one day after I win the lottery, I will purchase a Macintosh and there will be other uses for Firewire. However until that day, I will continue to operate as normal.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          I do not see a single other purpose for Firewire.
          I have fire wire on the LiveDrive of one machine and an add on card on another. Those two can network over firewire at 400Mbps which sure beats the 100Mbps of the rest of the network.
          Sig? What sig?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkDelight.net
            I have fire wire on the LiveDrive of one machine and an add on card on another. Those two can network over firewire at 400Mbps which sure beats the 100Mbps of the rest of the network.
            My home network is using Gigabyte networking and Cat7 cabling. With asychronous burst speeds you can acheive 2 Ghz per second on the network.

Of course, the print server has to have everything switched down to 10 Mbps to communicate with the printer but that is why it has 20 GB set aside for spooling.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

i've owned my ipod for about 8 or 9 months now..loving it and no problems as of yet

The only grip that i have is that the battery dies 1/3rd through uploading my entire 9gb of music to it - so i have to do about 3 or so gb at a time, recharge, then start on the next chunk..not a big deal however because i do a format and re-install every few months or so. I've mounted mine in my car, and very rarely take it out of there..a pic:

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt
                i've owned my ipod for about 8 or 9 months now..loving it and no problems as of yet

The only grip that i have is that the battery dies 1/3rd through uploading my entire 9gb of music to it - so i have to do about 3 or so gb at a time, recharge, then start on the next chunk..not a big deal however because i do a format and re-install every few months or so. I've mounted mine in my car, and very rarely take it out of there..a pic:
                Do you have the iTrip?
                I got it recently, and it's awesome & works great.

Webmaster / Administrator
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

It looks like he is running the Belkin car-adaptor which is a charger, but also has a standard stereo-minijack out, which is what i use to mount mine in the car.

I would be curious as to what adaptor you used though, i have mine sitting in the cup holder at the moment.

You could also get the icePod (iirc) which is a real carkit and "replaces" the cd stacker on your headunit. Im still waiting for one of these to arrive in australia before buying one.

PS- Why are you having the battery issues like that? Are you using the USB cable without plugging the firewire plug into the power? My transfer cables charge the ipod at the same time...

Comment

for my install:

- A Blitzsafe adapter (plugs into my HU cd changer input making the HU think the IPOD is a cd changer). Much cleaner sound than a cassette or FM interface.

- Belkin cigarette lighter power cord/audio interface thingey as you mentioned

- Radio Shack ground loop isolater (was getting a hum without it)

- A Panavise mount with a Proclip mounted onto it:

Panavise: Here is mine, you can search for yours here

Proclip (mounts to the panavise): http://www.proclipusa.com - goto the products drop down/ipod

and yeah..about the power - im using the firewire vs the usb and it doesnt seem to be charging..hmmm..starts investigating

Comment

i have the iTrip but i am not too pleased with it, i cant seem to find a decent frequency for it! lots of static noise

unless i place it on top of the radio that is receiveing it but then that defeats the object really...

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt
                        for my install:

- A Blitzsafe adapter (plugs into my HU cd changer input making the HU think the IPOD is a cd changer). Much cleaner sound than a cassette or FM interface.
                        You mention below you are using the cigarette lighter power, with the audio from that - how exactly are you using this device too?

Looking at the site it seems you are just using an output from your headunit to reach 2 RCA plugs which you use a stereo-minijack -> RCA cable? (Same as what im doing, which isnt good enough, i need myself steering wheel controls )

- Belkin cigarette lighter power cord/audio interface thingey as you mentioned
                        This is what i use in my car, works good except that it doesnt work

- Radio Shack ground loop isolater (was getting a hum without it)
                        Ive already got 2 of these in my system, lack of a decent quality AMP means i get alot of ground loop noise :|

- A Panavise mount with a Proclip mounted onto it:

Panavise: Here is mine, you can search for yours here

Proclip (mounts to the panavise): http://www.proclipusa.com - goto the products drop down/ipod

and yeah..about the power - im using the firewire vs the usb and it doesnt seem to be charging..hmmm..starts investigating
                        Shame about the sites you've mentioned, they dont list clips for australian made cars and dont mention clips for aftermarket headunits

Im looking at getting the icelink which fools the headunit into thinking that the ipod is a complete cd changer with controls working, but its too expensive to order over without seeing one in action first.

If you are using the 4pin -> 6pin adaptor, it wont charge because the 4pin firewire lacks power. If you use the USB cable, it comes with 2 plugs, a firewire plug which plugs into the power adaptor that came with the ipod, and the USB plug for the USB port. iPods dont charge off USB

Comment

I hope my next motherboard has firewire in it, so I can get some proper speed while processing digital media from the sony handycam dvdrw

Comment

I installed a firewire card into my machine (has a few ports) because of a video capture device I bought. Now that my gf wants an iPod Mini, I'm glad I have it.

Comment

Well im in england so if I get caught using iTrip i can get busted by the law cos in the UK we can't do anything.

Comment

excuse my 3rd grade drawing prowness:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X