My beloved iPod...... not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My beloved iPod...... not.

Tell me what you think but here are the problems I have had and see wih the iPod....

I bought my 20GB iPod Christmas 2003 for £300, and since then I have had to claim 5 pairs of headphones (bad) from my warranty because after a few weeks one of the ears goes rattly.

The remote control is long enough to compete with a small bus (bad).

I bought a new hard drive on my computer (bad) and the iTunes software had to be reinstalled, when I done this, it told me my iPod needed to be configured, so i went ahead with it, and it GOT RID OF ALL MY MUSIC!! So I had to put it all back on, took m ages to format the song titles again.

It uses firewire 1394a (good and bad), good because it takes a split second for each track to upload. But only about 5% of all computers in the world have firewire installed.

The battery is internal (bad), so apple charge, wait for it, £100 to send the iPod back to them for them to re-fit a new battery, to which ive been told the battery lasts a year then u have to get it re-fitted.

Its small and cute (good) and its touch sensitive.

What do you think??

Originally posted by DJWard
    Tell me what you think but here are the problems I have had and see wih the iPod....

I bought my 20GB iPod Christmas 2003 for £300, and since then I have had to claim 5 pairs of headphones (bad) from my warranty because after a few weeks one of the ears goes rattly.

The remote control is long enough to compete with a small bus (bad).

I bought a new hard drive on my computer (bad) and the iTunes software had to be reinstalled, when I done this, it told me my iPod needed to be configured, so i went ahead with it, and it GOT RID OF ALL MY MUSIC!! So I had to put it all back on, took m ages to format the song titles again.

It uses firewire 1394a (good and bad), good because it takes a split second for each track to upload. But only about 5% of all computers in the world have firewire installed.

The battery is internal (bad), so apple charge, wait for it, £100 to send the iPod back to them for them to re-fit a new battery, to which ive been told the battery lasts a year then u have to get it re-fitted.

Its small and cute (good) and its touch sensitive.

What do you think??
    I think you are one of the few unlucky people who this has happend to.

In my time I've owned 3 iPods, and have not had a single problem with any of them. I originally had a 10 GB 2nd Gen one, which I eventually gave away to my brother (since he liked it so much) then I got a 15GB 3rd generation one which I also gave away, and finally one more which I kept for myself.

About 4-5 of my friends also own iPods (2G & 3G models) and they have not experienced any problems either.

People do complain about the battery problem, but this was fixed in the 3rd generation iPods, which use a similar battery that is used by the Zen.

After owning around 7-8 differnt types (brands) of MP3 players, my iPod still tops them all. (including Rio Karma, Jukebox, Zen, etc)

And FYI, USB 2.0 can also be used instead of FireWire..You just need the dock for it. The supposed 5% of computers with FireWire seems a bit too low to be true as well, considering nearly all new motherboards come with firewire & usb 2.0

Bad luck on your part.
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Ive still heard bad things about the battery in 3G which is what I've got.

Comment

Ive still heard bad things about the battery in 3G which is what I've got.
        2 of the ones I owned were 3G, as are the ones my friends have...No problems here, or with many people I speak with online, so again, I think it's just bad luck on your part.
        Obviously there will be some defective ones here and there, but this applies to every electronic product on the market.
        Webmaster / Administrator
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

Comment

I have had no problems with my 2G one. Its a 10 GB model and its running fine.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
          http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

i have a 20GB 3rd Gen iPod

it is very high quality - no faults so far!

you can get a USB2 & Firewire cable combined so that you can connect it to your pc via USB and also to the charger via firewire. class.

Comment

I've got a 1st generation 5GB one and haven't had any problems with it, and the battery still works!

Comment

I'm using a 2nd Generation 15gb one without any problem what so ever.

If you get the Applecare for the ipod battery changes are free in to the 2nd year which I got.

All new computers have firewire since about 2 years ago. Though I dont like my Vaio laptop it has ilink which is 4pin firewire so you can't charge it and you need a special adaptor for the docking station.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Well saying that, I've had a lot of people in at work looking for DV editing, which requires firewire, but even the people with new computers don't have it.

However, I have known a few people with the 4-pin on their laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                    I'm using a 2nd Generation 15gb one without any problem what so ever.

If you get the Applecare for the ipod battery changes are free in to the 2nd year which I got.

All new computers have firewire since about 2 years ago. Though I dont like my Vaio laptop it has ilink which is 4pin firewire so you can't charge it and you need a special adaptor for the docking station.
                    I hope its offered as an option, i do not want to have onboard firewire on my next pc

I can also say ive never had problems with my 2 ipods (one of them was stolen ), and that the problems you say youve had with the music getting erased almost sounds like it was operator error - Ive got over 48gb of legitimatly recorded music and if i ever lost it over the last 2 HDD moves i would be one very angry person.

Also be very careful using the apple headphones, they are cheap mass manafactured earphones - get yourself a high quality pair that will last longer. Dont expect to get a long time out of $20 headphones!

Comment

I bought myself a pair of the Apple In Ear heaphones that were released recently and I think they are great compared to the cheap ones they came with.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I had a pair of those but they got stolen too

Sony's in-ear earphones (AU~$120 at last check) rock though, but then again im more likely if i have to use headphones to use my sennheiser 280s (big cans !)

Comment

Well saying that, I've had a lot of people in at work looking for DV editing, which requires firewire, but even the people with new computers don't have it.

However, I have known a few people with the 4-pin on their laptops.
                          Every new motherboard I have purchased has had it integrated on the board, and it works great.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                          http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                            I hope its offered as an option, i do not want to have onboard firewire on my next pc
                            My computer is less than 2 years old and doesn't have Firewire on it. I saw no need when I purchased the motherboard. Doubt the computer that I purchase in the next few months will have it either. Again I see no personal need.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

The good thing about firewire is that they are starting to use IEEE 1394b, which transfers at 800mbps.... that beats USB 2.0, which transfers at 480mbps.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X