X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace

Peace and equality

peace

Peace only comes through the release of power, Once a person or a state releases power over people then peace is possible. In any relationship, there is a degree of mutual understanding, and ideally interdependance; however, because people and states seek power , and because people and states have low self esteem and need to feel superior, they seek to overpower each other; This leads to the race for supremicy, the survival of the fittest or cleverest or fastest. It is this very race that is responsible for the position humankind is in now. It is time we acted and stopped seeking power. Discoveries and progress can still be achieved for the good of humanity. Altruism is the way forward. If everybody was non competitively altruistic, peace could be possible.

In life their are opposites, light and dark, good and bad and war and peace. Betwixt the two states there are states in which one can find oneself, but it is essential to remember that without one pole there cannot be the other. So is peace really possible? If the world decided as a whole to lay down all the arms is this peace, and what becomes of war? If the word decided to ban wars, what place would peace have ,and would peace be possible without war?

Peace is never possible whilst states or individuals see their best interests served in war and dispute. So perhaps their need to be a world arbitration council, to protect and represent. If a state has a grievance or a desire, they could ask the council for assistance. The council would arbitrate between the parties and decide the outcome. Both parties would have to respect this decision. This has been tried with historical failures, the UN and the League of Nations. The failures are due to vested interest and the willingness of states to seek war if they believe that their best interest are served by war.

Human beings will never tire of fighting, or squabbling or desiring more and more things until they decide to find contentment within themselves as opposed to without. Equality cannot exist as we are all different, so we all have different talents and skills. Nobody is equal. This then is our greatest asset , the ability to diversify. Giving every Nation the same chances however should be possible, but because of fear of competition this won’t happen. What then the chances of contentment.

Contentment can only be found in love. If nations can forget the past infringements of other nations and move towards understanding instead of keeping count of past infringements, and start to release themselves from the cyclical type of relationship they seem to have now, where a score card is kept,peace is possible. Peace is mutual and so unless countries are prepared to trust each other, peace is impossible.

The bible says in Chorinthians 1 v 13 " 1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
    4Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
    8Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
    13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
    4Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
    8Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
    13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

So perhaps the greatest thing a human can aspire to is to love according to the scriptures.

For the non religious this equates to altruism.

Peace means being able to lead people , but the people that you lead believe in themselves and the issues , rather than the leader. it is this that seperates Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandi from the rest of us. They knew that peace had to be inclusive and that if needed, it was worth death.

Competition can still have a place within peace, by using sport.
    The question remains , are humans prepared to think about not what is good for them, or their family or their nation, but what is good for the world?
    I believe in peace, yet I know it is impossible whilst humans treat each other in the way they do.

Richard
    YES
    21.43%
    NO
    78.57%

The poll is expired.

Would we have the term peace if we did not have conflict?. I do not belive peace is possible, conflict is just a part of life, you have to roll with the punches.

Comment

You shouldn't give out punches. Everybody should do the same. Then we'd have peace!
      Why do poeple give out punches? Well sometimes it's a reaction to situations or the daily grind of life.

Comment

We've had this debate before.

If we had peave, we would have no free speach, we wouldn't be able to what we wanted.

If we wanted to live our life the way WE want, there will never be peace.

Peace is a part of life.

If you've ever seen the film equalibrium you'd understand my thinking.

Comment

I voted no.

Comment

Peace means being able to say something whilst recognising that others may have differing views.And others having the same attitude. Respecting each other equates to freedom.If you wish to live your life in a certain way ,best think of the impact of that lifestyle on others. Its a balance. You cant be completely passive nor aggressive, but you must have the information available to make balanced judgements. The only way of life is your own way, but walk the path with others in mind.
            I'm new ,so apologies if this discussuion has been done before.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X