X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sabret00the
    replied
    Originally posted by LeeCHeSSS
    Stay away from webmonkey - it teaches you to use depecrated HTML. Read the specs on w3.org and handcode in a decent text editor (UltraEdit or EditPlus).
    the webmonkey team was fired a while ago by lycos, so i wouldn't advice going there anyway.

in regards to the original post, dreamweavers cool, i handcode in it and enjoy quickly previewing what i've done.

Leave a comment:

• LeeCHeSSS
    replied
    Stay away from webmonkey - it teaches you to use depecrated HTML. Read the specs on w3.org and handcode in a decent text editor (UltraEdit or EditPlus).

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    I found that golive CS was too slow and bulky.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Originally posted by FarStar
    if I get dreamweaver,do I still need a ftp client to make it easier right, or is a ftp client built in?
    I've used the built in FTP client and prefer it to everything else out there. The only FTP client I would switch to would be Internet Explorer when Microsoft fixes the issues its built in FTP browser has.

Leave a comment:

• dynamite
    replied
    GoLive is not a terrible WYSIWYG editor either (don't know how CS is as I haven't upgraded). I used to not like Dreamweaver (the pre-MX days), but the more I use it the more I like it. Both have their good points and their bad points.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Each to his own on whether they like Dreamweaver or not, but I do. Dreamweaver MX 2004 is the best HTML editor I've used (both in code view and WYSIWYG view). There is no substitute for first learning HTML and writing it for years, but for those of us who know the language well and develop more and more complex designs, it is better to use a WYSIWYG editor and then tweak the code by hand.

Leave a comment:

• IDN
    replied
    if I get dreamweaver,do I still need a ftp client to make it easier right, or is a ftp client built in?
    I hope you don't pirate it since it is a $400 client. Unless you are a designer it is not worth to buy it. 1st page is a great tool in general and it is free!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Gwynne
    replied
    IIRC it's built in, but there's a lot of options I believe. Best to get a separate FTP client, they're all pretty basic and all do the same job.

Leave a comment:

• FarStar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C
    FarStar - you don't need someone to hand-feed you the information really HTML is that easy that you can teach yourself using the wide variety of online resources available to you. Try starting off @ www.webmonkey.com
    A background always helps, read the specification at W3.org first.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Gwynne
    replied
    Two hands and a copy of EditPlus is all you need. Handwritten code all the way.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    FarStar - you don't need someone to hand-feed you the information really HTML is that easy that you can teach yourself using the wide variety of online resources available to you. Try starting off @ www.webmonkey.com

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl
    replied
    I've been using Dreamweaver for a number of years.

And I've been hand coding for 9 years.

I just don't have time to sit there, and hand code stuff anymore. Its easier for me to do stuff in DW, and then tweak the code by hand afterwards.

If you have time to sit there and type until your hands are sore... then do hand coding... But if you're like me, and have to do stuff when time is available (whenever that is).... get DreamWeaver.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    I would recommend dreamweaverMX to anyone, new to website dev or if they have been doing it for many, many years.

All i use is Macromedia and Adobe products for Web

Leave a comment:

• FarStar
    replied
    Handcoding would be fine though, if I actually knew what I was doing. If one of you guys want to teach me some html over the net, I will be happy to learn it.

Leave a comment: