Free Firewall Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Firewall Software?

I'm looking for free firewall software. It doesn't have to be fancy or loaded with features. I just want to monitor what goes in/out from my computer.

Does anyone know where free firewall software is? Please no trial versions of firewalls. Any help's appreciated! Thanks.

I don't use Firewall software much anymore (all done at gateway) - but when I did, I used ZoneAlarm.

Comment

I don't believe ZA is free. There's a trial version, AFAIK.

Comment

They have both a Free and "Pro" version (the pro one being 30 day shareware, then you buy).

But the free version works just fine.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...comparison.jsp

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...eeDownload.jsp

Comment

Windows XP SP2 firewall is great .. persuming you're using XP.

Comment

Check out Sygate Personal Firewall:
            http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Comment

Kerio personal firewall is great

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
              Winforums.org Support Forums
              Yupp, we blog too!

Comment

I use Zonealarm (Free) and it seems to work well

Comment

IMO the best free software firewall is Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0 (Past 2.0 is not free.). It is under a MB in size and will ask you every time there is an incoming or outgoing connection. You can set rules to always allow or disallow applications; TCP/UDP/ICMP connections; port; IP address.

Quite a nice piece of work. I can upload it for anyone that wants if you can not find it as it's no longer free for versions past 2.0
                  Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

www.smoothwall.org
                    HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                    -
                    Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

XP_SP2 has the most up to date firewall you can get right now and includes IPv6 support, not to mention it is free.
                      Still RC1, but RC1 has no critical bugs, so nothing will change before final release.
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I didnt like XP's firewall as it didnt tell you which apps were requesting outbound access. That little feature in Zone Alarm alerted to some spyware progs I never knew I had.
                        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I'm using smoothwall too though my friends like IPCop better.
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

ZoneAlarm was developed by an ex-Microsoft programmer as I've been told, and when he first developed zonealarm he got thorugh Microsofts firewalls, however Microsoft could not get thorugh his firewall (ZoneAlarm).

After using ZoneAlarm and Zonealarm Pro, there isn't much difference and the it's the best rated firewall program on the net.

I recommend ZoneAlarm 100%

Comment

Or wait until XP SP2 which has a great firewall that is very similar to Zone Alarm.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X