X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tantei3
    replied
    Question
    I'm very interested in tableless vBulletin skins and I need it badly!! But I don't have knowledge about CSS. What should I do?

Answer
    That's very easy. I have a good idea and it's perfect for you. Remove all table related tags from your templates. Now you can say that is 100% table free. But remember, I'm not responsible for any defects or malfunction.
    Last edited by tantei3; Fri 15 Jul '05, 10:35pm.

Leave a comment:

• Faruk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamslam
    Most of the tables used in vB are appropriate.

A discussion board skin should almost never be tableless, unless of course you come with some different way of structuring it. Although at this point in time, I can't see a forumlist not being tabular data.
    While the use of tables in the default vBulletin style are justifiable, it doesn't mean that you're doing something wrong when you make some sections non-table based.

Forumhome, FAQ, Showthread, User CP, those are 4 major areas of vbulletin that can be done without tables just fine. There is no harm in using divs and CSS for such sections - it's just trickier, mostly.

Using CSS to replace actual tabular data that you cannot logically mask as non-tabular data(*), is going over the top. But this table-less vBulletin style is only doing that a little bit, not so much that I'd complain about it.

* = although Showthread is often seen as tabular data, a generic showthread page can easily be seen as non-tabular data, and instead as a list of comments, much like you would encounter on newssites or weblogs. Such pages can be converted to table-less designs without it being "against the logic of tables", or the logic of CSS, for that matter. Forumhome is something that can reasonably easy be done using no tables, and instead a few divs and CSS.

Leave a comment:

• Faruk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamslam
    If you know all the bugs, it becomes infinitely easier

http://www.positioniseverything.net/

Which values are you referring to? There are properties that are non-inheritable in CSS.
    width being one such property...

Leave a comment:

• jamslam
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    I try making tableless layouts when possible and have gotten good at it, although with such crappy CSS support in IE, it can be frustrating.
    If you know all the bugs, it becomes infinitely easier

http://www.positioniseverything.net/

Originally posted by pierguy
    Be that as it may, tables should be able to inherit values from div's.
    Which values are you referring to? There are properties that are non-inheritable in CSS.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake Bunce
    I am so used to using tables for everything. Why are they bad?
    They are intended only for representing tabular data (i.e., data that can be represented in rows and columns). They are not designed for layout purposes--one of the reasons CSS was created.

I try making tableless layouts when possible and have gotten good at it, although with such crappy CSS support in IE, it can be frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    I am so used to using tables for everything. Why are they bad?

Leave a comment:

• pierguy
    replied
    Be that as it may, tables should be able to inherit values from div's.

Leave a comment:

• jamslam
    replied
    Originally posted by pierguy
    I wish to God the VB team would come up with a tableless skin for the boards.
    Most of the tables used in vB are appropriate.

A discussion board skin should almost never be tableless, unless of course you come with some different way of structuring it. Although at this point in time, I can't see a forumlist not being tabular data.

Leave a comment:

• pierguy
    replied
    I wish to God the VB team would come up with a tableless skin for the boards. My site's static pages are competely free of tables and they work great, but now that I'm trying to wrap the div's around the existing VB template, it's a trainwreck. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107234

For some reason the 100% width outer table isn't obeying the outer div it's wrapped in.

Leave a comment:

• tantei3
    replied
    Yes it was very easy. And any suggestions are always welcome. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Gary King
    replied
    Well you could easily change that, not a problem

Anyhow, I don't think that was the problem when I checked; it was that link you had in your previous post.

Leave a comment:

• Chris|vB
    replied
    it looks good.

Leave a comment:

• tantei3
    replied
    Yes. vBcode such as [url] is kept intact.
    I fixed. It required php code modification.
    So standard links open no new window any more.
    Last edited by tantei3; Fri 2 Apr '04, 6:14pm.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    I haven't validated it but urls posted by people require the target attribute to open in a new window which is not XHTML Strict.

Leave a comment:

• Gary King
    replied
    BTW, This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X