Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EU Announces Final MSFT Decision: "Near Monopoly;" New Windows Version Within 90 Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU Announces Final MSFT Decision: "Near Monopoly;" New Windows Version Within 90 Days

The European Union (EU) announced today that Microsoft is guilty of abusing its "near monopoly" in desktop and server OSs and fined the company a record $613 million. Additionally, the EU gave Microsoft 90 days to offer European computer makers a new Windows version that doesn't include Windows Media Player (WMP) and 120 days to give competitors the vital information they require to write software applications that work more closely with Windows Server products.

The EU's restrictions and requirements are limited to the European market only "in deference to the competition authorities of the United States and other countries," according to EU Competition Commissioner Mario Monti. Microsoft says its proposed settlement, which the EU shot down last week, would have been better for consumers. The company vows to appeal this decision to an EU court in Luxembourg.

"Today's decision restores the conditions for fair competition in the markets concerned and establishes clear principles for the future conduct of a company with such a strong dominant position," Monti said. "We are not expropriating Microsoft's intellectual property.

Read More
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

As the dust settles on the European Commission's landmark $613 million (€497 million) ruling, which forces Microsoft to ship a stripped-down version of Windows without Media Player and to open up its source code to rivals, the debate is turning to whether it will stand up on appeal and whether it will have any real impact on Microsoft.
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5179087.html

Comment

Microsoft Vows to Appeal EU Ruling
      Microsoft will appeal the fine and sanctions imposed upon it by the European Commission, Brad Smith, the company's senior vice president and general counsel, said in a conference call shortly after the Commission's decision was announced. The appeal could keep the legal battle rumbling until 2009, Smith says.
      http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115335,00.asp

Comment

As I've said in another thread before, I think its not right that Microsoft can not bundle Windows Media with their OS.

Apple has been doing that for quite some time now (even before Microsoft) with Quicktime and more recently, iTunes.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

God, this is pathetic.

If people don't like windows, you can get a cheaper OS by downloading/buying it in a store.

Why do so many people hate windows, Life would be a lot more harder without them.

Comment

People don't like Windows because they don't understand. Basically the majority of the people that hate Windows hate it because someone else does. You here people on the internet or on TV bashing Windows for this and that but they don't understand why these conditions exist.

For instance everyone bashes Windows because they have all these security risks and viruses. The only reason they have them is because most of the world uses Windows and therefore virus writers write them for Windows not for Mac, Linux, ect. If more people used Mac, Linux and whatever you would find that the virus writers would come over as well and we would have the same problems.

Also if you look at it Microsoft they played their hands very well and they are very smart people. They didn't invent the windowed operating system someone else did and found out that a lot of people liked it so Microsoft came in and improved on the idea and released there own version.

So overall it is just ignorant people in high places.
            Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

I see it as them saying it's time to code for the end users not the corporations so they can get to our desktops. Windows works and works well, ya can't argue that. It's the things it does that people don't want it doing that should be policed.

I have a personal computer, not a TV. I don't want to see advertisments displayed from a "hook" in the OS.
              Computer Help Forum
              An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Are you sure you hate Windows?
                Or do you hate Microsoft?

They do so much you dont even know about, that helps us all.
                They gave me my job working from home. if it wasnt for them i would be stuck. They dont ask questions, they treat me like gold, they never have forced me to use anything i didnt want to. They have spent hundred of thousands of dollars on myself each year alone every year, going on 8 years now.
                So i imagine they do with many people
                Please, tell me what is so bad about them?? I really would love to know?
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Microsoft is a good corporation that cares about its customers and is always improving thier products in the best interest in their customers. I don't see what is not to like.

Comment

I was into computers back in the days when there was 2 versions Radio Shack, 2 versions of Atari, 2 versions of Commodor and a handful of other OSs (TI, Timex, Osbone, etc.). It was nightmare trying to run software... seen a software package that someone else was using that you'd like to have? 75% of the time it wasn't made for your computer. Companies just couldn't afford to write their software for 6+ OSs. The quality of software we have now wouldn't be possible without one dominate OS on the market.

Comment

I don't hate Windows, I hate Microsoft. Sure they do some good things, but they just move into a market, take it over, innovate a little bit, and then let it die because they won.
                      Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                      Microsoft is a good corporation that cares about its customers and is always improving thier products in the best interest in their customers. I don't see what is not to like.
                      You're kidding. All improvements are in the best interests of the corporation.
                      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Besides the OS market which they have completely won to this point what other market have the won like the OS? They tried to come into the consol world and so far have soon a good product but haven't come close to beating the PS2.
                        Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

Originally posted by Surrix
                          Besides the OS market which they have completely won to this point what other market have the won like the OS? They tried to come into the consol world and so far have soon a good product but haven't come close to beating the PS2.
                          Browser market. One of the most unfortunate of them all.
                          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

So let’s see, they took over a browser market from a company that was giving their product away for free and was creating “features” (blink tag and JavaScript for example) that were not approved standards at the time. Gee, aren’t those the same complaints levied against MS? Heck, Netscape “invented” JavaScript and it’s still not completely compatible with the standards.

Comment

Originally posted by hankster
                              So let’s see, they took over a browser market from a company that was giving their product away for free and was creating “features” (blink tag and JavaScript for example) that were not approved standards at the time. Gee, aren’t those the same complaints levied against MS? Heck, Netscape “invented” JavaScript and it’s still not completely compatible with the standards.
                              Gecko is now completely standards compliant - much more so than IE's engine is. IE's created far more "features" that are not approved by the standards at all. Netscape, as far as I can remember, only created one - blink.

Microsoft's problem is that once they gain dominance over something, they completely stop innovating. This is where open source really shines. Last I heard, Apache HTTPD ran 2/3 of the web, and that is constantly growing. And they keep innovating. If they didn't kill markets after achieving dominance, things would be great.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X