Which Linux Distro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noppid
    Boy you are full of yourself...I've been running Linux for years now. I sit in #fedora all day everyday and see guys like you come back and say, yeah you were right, I could make it work, but it wasn't usable. Read my statement next time before you get so full of your self....I said a GUI wouldn't be usable, I didn't say it wouldn't work.

As you can see 32MB won't even run the CLI on a 200Mhz machine. And I can tell you from the experience of many others the usability of the GUI on a 400Mhz machine with 256MB is very poor at best. ie. unusable.
    That is for the full of junkie features fedora you are talking about. I ran both Mandrake 8 and Redhat 7.2 on my 133/200mhz machines, with GUI perfectly. There are other operating systems besides Fedora, maybe you should explore them. It seems that you would rather criticism the members here then to be of any help

Originally posted by noppid
    My time is worth more then the effort to setup and run such an old machine.
    Yes, that is your time. If you have more better things to do then have fun and experiment then go do that. No one likes unconstructive criticism and rudeness.

If you do not like what we are doing on our own time then ignore this thread and go do better things like sit in a chat room all day and treat newbies like crap as it seems you are good at that.
    Last edited by IDN; Fri 26 Mar '04, 11:41am.
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
      That is for the full of junkie features fedora you are talking about. I ran both Mandrake 8 and Redhat 7.2 on my 133/200mhz machines, with GUI perfectly. There are other operating systems besides Fedora, maybe you should explore them. It seems that you would rather criticism the members here then to be of any help

Yes, that is your time. If you have more better things to do then have fun and experiment then go do that. No one likes unconstructive criticism and rudeness.

If you do not like what we are doing on our own time then ignore this thread and go do better things like sit in a chat room all day and treat newbies like crap as it seems you are good at that.
      All that from a guy that opened with an attack on my knowledge means nothing. Take a good hard look at your own words. Too bad you're not mature enough to have a civil debate and disagree without making it personal.

All that and Ice Cream too! Huh? LMAO

Have a nice weekend.
      Last edited by noppid; Fri 26 Mar '04, 11:57am.
      Computer Help Forum
      An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Well with my knowledge of compaq (not a big fan), you might have to manually put the memory location in with most linux distros. The biggest problem that I have had getting a newer version of any kinda of linux distro to work is the supplied video card in the PC. Linux will sometimes work on it without a gui. In my opinion is that linux will run on almost every computer new and old, its the supplied video card compatibility that linux has the biggest issues with.

Some compaq computers, more so on the old ones have issues with the memory location. So sometimes you would have to issue a command on the boot up like "linux mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]" just to get linux to install. But this might not be the issue on your pc. Hope this helps.

codeblu

Comment

If you have time try a few ? I used to use Suse a fair amount then RH and BSD, now I mainly use gentoo.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I still can't decide. I think i'm going to try debian though.

Thanks guys!

Comment

http://www.xpde.com/shots.php
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Wow, can't rip off Windows any more than that...
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
                  Debian. Debian. Debian.

Woody distro is virtually impossible to crash.

Anyhoo, that's my input. Debian rocks high and low, as far as I'm concerned, and blows the others away in most things.
                  I agree, I have yet found a system unable to run Debian.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X