Legal ownership of forum content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal ownership of forum content

Who owns what is written within a forum? Can you use threads and publish them on your website? Or is that not allowed from a legal perspective? Can you sell the content?

Would really like to know.

Regards,

Jon

As long as you include something along the lines as this into your TOS: "You also agree that "SiteName" may use, edit or remove any post or message in part or whole at it’s discretion for any commercial or non commercial use."

I wrote that in so if I decide to advertise my forum and their post is included they don't too upset.
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Where can I edit the TOS? Where is the text stored in the admin panel? I can't find it!

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Jon12345
        Where can I edit the TOS? Where is the text stored in the admin panel? I can't find it!

Jon
        In vBulletin 2.X, there is no location for this, you have to add the page.

In 3.0, you need to edit the forum_rules phrase in the languages system.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Jon12345

Jon
          To edit the registration text, do a search in the Phrase Manager

*edit, Wayne beat me
          Webmaster / Administrator
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

Comment

You could also make an announcement or add a link to a new page with it. Add effects to it by calling the template structure around the rules in a .php file.

Even if you have that text in the TOS, please ask the user first before you use it. You might loose a member or more in the long run. Don't treat your members like pets and you own them. Treat them as if you would treat one of your staff.

Comment

We added ours to the footer, so thats another option as long as it isn't too lengthy.
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I can't seem to work out how to edit the TOC message. I went to Phrase Manager, did a search and found forum_rules. But now what do I do?

Comment

This is best put here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X