Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading to VB3- do you upgrade on a test board first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to VB3- do you upgrade on a test board first?

I'm almost ready to upgrade my VB 2.34 to VB3, though obviously am a little nervous. In the past I've always simply upgraded VB directly on the live site, saving a copy of the database first of course. Just wondering, how many of you go the extra step of installing major upgrades like VB3 on a carbon, local/test copy of your actual forums first?
    - JavaScript Kit | CSS Drive | CodingForums.com | CodeTricks.com

I just went ahead and did it... no problems!

I have never had any problems with upgrading

Comment

I did take the time to first test the upgrade on a "carbon copy". And I'm glad I did. I forgot I had a hack that was incompatible with vb3's new database structure.

Comment

what hack was it lee?

and to answer the question i both upgrade and hack my test board first.

Comment

The one that allowed forums to be used as links.

Comment

I just backed up the files and database, then went for it.

Comment

I have yet to upgrade, but will soon. I'm making a backup of my forums on my local server and upgrading that. I've done it before with only one problem (attachments due to the multiple attachments hack for vB2). I just had to delete all my attachments to fix the problem... ohh well, no loss

But yea, I'm actually doing another step to this but that doesn't need to be said here lol

MGM out

Comment

I upgraded straight from 2.3.4 to RC4 to Gold without much issues other having the host make some adjustements.

Most of my issues was going from IPB to 2.3.4 as my mboard was on weird box and the import script didn't work on it. Setting up temp boards on a different box to import the db didn't succeed since that box was using postgreSQL.
                Kim

Comment

I spent a good 4 months working a test upgrade. It took so long because we're heavily hacked and I had to rehack everything from the ground up.(but I enjoy it)

TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seanie
                    I just went ahead and did it... no problems!

I have never had any problems with upgrading
                    Same.
                    Shane
                    CIO, FrakMedia.net
                    Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

I always upgrade my main forums straight away. Backups? Who needs 'em.

Well I do have a nightly backup in case it should go wrong, but up until now I've never needed it.

Comment

Just Upgraded no worrys.

Comment

I just backed up the database, forum files, and did the upgrade

(also tested upgrade on localhost w/o any problems)
                          Webmaster / Administrator
                          www.MegaGames.com
                          www.MGForums.com

Comment

How big are your databases? Mine is around 300 megs with attachments, but no hacks at all. The attachments do concern me a bit.
                            - JavaScript Kit | CSS Drive | CodingForums.com | CodeTricks.com

Comment

I made a database backup and a backup of all the files. Then I put up a index.html page saying we're upgrading, deleted all the vB files (I like to be thorough ), uploaded the new ones, upgraded and done It was a very painless upgrade too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X