No announcement yet.

vB3 Final Report Card - Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah sorry I just dont liek them i feel they cheapen vB3 a lot, the smilies are awful, i mean are all those colours needed? the online/offline icons are didgy with a very unlclean feel, most of the colours used dont fit in well with vB3`s default style, the actual buttons are way to chunky and have a horrid 3d feel to them and are made worse by jaggy images in them, as with the majority of the icons etc, soz dont like them im sorry i think they could have been a lot better, mind you i didnt even see the need to change them after the excellent way many of the temp images in the rcs were made.

Comment

Plain, boring buttons!

Comment

Originally posted by nwingate
        Very Random IMO

Make vB look very unprofessional!
        I agree with you.

Comment

Odd

I dont get it, professional site, professional documentation, professional forum, professional templates, then a graphics kit from a nursery school wall???

They're unbeleivably bad.

The smiles are super mind numbingly bad.

I dont even want to use them, i just cant imagine these graphics sticking.

Why why why why why why ??????

EH????

Comment

I dont think they're bad per se, they just look out of place.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
            http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Originally posted by Ksilebo
              I dont think they're bad per se, they just look out of place.
              Well yes, looks like something off a nintendo site, nay even nintendo wouldnt jumble the colours so.

Comment

I have held back from saying how bad they are untill now, but when i logged on saturday morning and was stunned, such a professional product with icons which just look crappy.

And i'm happy the majority in this poll is voting the same way.

My only fear is that we wont see any updated graphics untill vb3.1, i just hope some third party member can come along and save this product.

Also i know we can design our own buttons, but quite frankly, majority of the people use vbulletin standard buttons, and you have shot yourself in the foot, you should of done user testing before pushing them out with the final.

Comment

I'm just sad for Kier. He worked hard on them.

I agree with Andrew. I, personally, do not feel like remaking each and every button/icon again. I like to keep things as 'out of the box' as possible. I just used the RC graphics.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                  http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew-ningc
                    Also i know we can design our own buttons, but quite frankly, majority of the people use vbulletin standard buttons, and you have shot yourself in the foot, you should of done user testing before pushing them out with the final.
                    I always see people talk about how things might not be the best, but people can always change them.. Not just with the vB images but other products also...

Why would someone buy a product and then have to change them, when they could buy/download another product that they don't have to change?

I don't want to say I hate the new images.. But I certainly don't like them..

With the old vB2 images, they could be used on professional forums or personal forums.. They looked just right for both.. But the new images and smilies seem to unprofessional... All of our sites have custom image sets anyway.. But what about people who don't have design talent? It wasn't hard to change the colors on the old GDK that fit just about every situation... But how do you make most of the icons from vB3's GTK more professional without redoing them completely?

Comment

In Kier's defense, he was following the photorealism trend in every modern OS; namely, Windows XP and OS X. My only real objections are that images are used far too often when simply text would suffice, and that the board in general is monochromatic and the icons use every color of the spectrum.
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                        In Kier's defense, he was following the photorealism trend in every modern OS; namely, Windows XP and OS X. My only real objections are that images are used far too often when simply text would suffice, and that the board in general is monochromatic and the icons use every color of the spectrum.
                        I agree; it is apparent that Kier was indeed shooting for a photorealistic feel for the new icons and buttons... and I whole heartedly agree that the contrast between bright, vibrant colors in the graphical elements and the monochromatic theme carried through everything else is what makes it an eyesore.

I am going to spend some time looking at other forum icon and button sets and maybe something will inspire me. If that happens, I'll try to whip something up in Photoshop and make the PSDs available to everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraBrain
                          I just made these simple ones instead:

and

Bit simple, but at least ppl understand why those buttons are there now
                          Are those free to for us to use?

If so, you wouldn't have an invis button like that too, would you?

Comment

Edit: Found it.
                            Last edited by Kwak; Wed 24 Mar '04, 12:21am.

Comment

I like the new vBulletin graphics quite a lot... but it makes no difference to me because I pretty much redesigned the entire graphical side of the interface for my site.
                              Matt
                              Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                              Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

Okay, I realize what Kier was doing, he was following the trend. Also, IMO compared to a lot of the new products trends, I h ave to disagree with a LOT of people here who thinks they're unprofessional. They are quite professional, you gotta think about the current trends. Still they look way too fat, and my biggest issue with the buttons is the white outline, I couldn't even STAND using these on my forums for a second! Especially when I have a darker style going. The fact that it has the white outlines around is that it was kinda done in a rush job. They should've took care of that.

The smileys, I have to disagree with a lot of them, I actually do like em ::shrugs:: I liked the older ones better but I'm using both of the sets anyway. I'll still have to fix the smileys to take care of the outlining.

Yes I am disappointed, and wether I DO liked it or not, I still would have done my own anyway.

I think Kier should've just done his own way instead of following the trend. I know vB Never follows the trends from other forums, they just Set it!
                                Gio Takahashi
                                Owner of www.unitedempire.net
                                The Website and The Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X