Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn, how long does it normally take domain to update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using alldomains.com, when I make a change, they usually have it in their system almost immediatly. Then, once it's in their system, internic will usually refresh their system twice daily, I think it's at either 6:00pm Eastern and then again at 3:00AM (eastern).. or something like that.. from there, it propagates to the world's nameservers and the timing on that can vary WIDELY!

For an expired domain, it's going to vary but, if your registrar did not do anything with their system until after the weekend, it's going to take longer. Again, as above, internic will do theirs twice daily and at least for US registrations, that's where it starts (beyond your registrar that is)

Do a whois via the whois server of the registrar, see if they have made the changes yet.

One-Take

Comment

Some domains take up to 5 days to fully propagate back, though I hardly hear of this anymore unless there is a problem at the registrar or a problem with the host. The common propagation time is around 12 hours from what I have seen, at least at my location (this goes for NameCheap & GoDaddy mainly as I do not register anywhere else).

The most I've actually had to wait was no more than 48 hours and that was only because I had messed up the DNS .

Comment

I've found that different registrars aren't the same.
        That why I don't use some of them, even though they are cheaper.
        Some that 3-4 days, and others work within 24hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by catocom
          I've found that different registrars aren't the same.
          That why I don't use some of them, even though they are cheaper.
          Some that 3-4 days, and others work within 24hrs.
          I've used several, alldomains had been, by far, the best for me. You have to sign up for a "program" to get cheap domain regs, I did a few years ago and it's worked well for me.

They are VERY prompt when you make a change, it's almost real-time.. but then you still have to wait for internic to pick up the changes and from there, all the rest of the world's ns's..

One-Take

Comment

I've used dotearth for several years now, and internic updates them
            very quickly, but I tried registerFly and had to enter the dns info in
            3 different times because it kept getting screwed-up when it was sent
            to internic or something, then after it showed-up right in the whois,
            it took another 3 days to resolve completely.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X