Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn, how long does it normally take domain to update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn, how long does it normally take domain to update?

I own a domain that expired on the 18th of March, 2004. I forgot, so the site went down that night. The next day I quickly newed the domain (March 19, 2004).

It's now the 21st of March, and the domain still hasn't renewed. Any idea why? I goto my control panel at my registrar, and it won't allow me to "Renew" anymore, saying that it's still in the "Process" or whatever. But I don't know why it would take this long. It's been past the 24hrs.

Wait 48 more hours.

Comment

1-94 hours or longer depeding on your ISP and several other varibles

Do make sure you updated your name server as well.

Comment

Wow, 3 full days? Do they not update on weekends, or something? LOL.

Comment

yup around 48 hours, the weekend is the worst time to buy a domain sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            1-94 hours or longer depeding on your ISP and several other varibles

Do make sure you updated your name server as well.
            I checked the nameservers, they are fine and still pointing to the correct address.

Comment

They say to wait 24-72 hours, but I have noticed my domains are updated within any where up to 10 hours or less.

Comment

Who is your registrar?

Comment

I use a large range of them, NameCheap, DomainPeople, and I am now a reseller myself, but I can expect changes in domain to propogate anywhere from 10-20 hours.

Comment

I use NameZero and get changes within 24 hours.

Then again, the 24-72 hour figure probably depends on your ISP's DNS servers than anything else.

Comment

I was on JumpDomain. $9.99 domains aint bad.

Comment

Usually it takes under 12 with Godaddy. Longest I've seen was around 96 hours, sadly.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                        http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

When i register a domain, dns gets updated overnight in my area..
                          Let the flames begin.

Comment

The process of updating a domain name takes no longer than it takes you to press submit.

The delay is in the TIME TO LIVE(TTL) on the nameservers of the world. Many only update once every 3 days, while using its cache between those periods.

The updates really just depend on how quickly your ISP updates its CACHE.

There is a TTL can cache based system because of how much traffic the root domain servers get.

Comment

What i meant was, the time it takes me to register as in: register and get dns updated. (Domain up, running, and working)

Originally posted by merk
                              The process of updating a domain name takes no longer than it takes you to press submit.

The delay is in the TIME TO LIVE(TTL) on the nameservers of the world. Many only update once every 3 days, while using its cache between those periods.

The updates really just depend on how quickly your ISP updates its CACHE.

There is a TTL can cache based system because of how much traffic the root domain servers get.
                              Let the flames begin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X