X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Originally posted by sabret00the
    hi, i wondered if i could bother you all for some help, i haven't got much knowledge in this field although it's something i seem to need at the moment.

basically i was wondering if you could make me some suggestions on hardware/software/retailers

ok first off, i'm in need of a server, the server will be based in an office and will be used to share/serve files (Word Documents, Spreadsheets, etc) as well as serve the internet connection, i also need to make sure that the afforementioned files can be remotely accessed off-site. so i guess my first question would be what sort of/what server should i go for? and what sort of configuration am i looking for?

the second part is really software based, i would like to run on the above server a database for tracking members, liason with said members and all related information, this will also need to be remotely accessed and i would like to have as simple an interface as possible, as not everyone in the office is very computer literate, especially when it comes to collating, searching through and printing the information that will be stored. so i'm wondering if you could recommend some software that would cater to my needs.

sorry for the really scarce information, i'm at work and all my notes concerning this are at home. but i would really appreciate the information.
    Look into one of these:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

Look into installing Windows 2003 Server on it.

Leave a comment:

• Lurk
    replied
    Try getting RedHat enterprise linux, ES or AS
    WS is workstation, not server

Leave a comment:

• sabret00the
    replied
    thanks, any ideas on what sort of program i should be looking for a database solution? someone said i should look into getting something made especially?

Leave a comment:

• dynamite
    replied
    If you are primarily sharing Windows documents then I would definitly go with a Windows server. Depending on how many people will be accessing it at a time really depends on how much power you need. If it is a small office, then a regular desktop style model might have enough power, but if it will be serving a lot of people simultaneously, then you might look to something like a Dell PowerEdge server.

Leave a comment:

• Hibernated
    replied
    You should get a Linux server. Use a network to connect them in the office to share /home/ directory which you can access from net with a password protection as well as from computer right next to you in your office. Most likely get Linux RedHat, it's most reliable software. If you are not sure how to use Linux or you are bad at it then you can easily get a windows 2003 server with which you can run all windows programs on your computer and share them through the web. If you are just going to share simple documents like Word, Excell, Access, PowerPoint, Images or any other documents with out php, cgi or any high level coding then you can just install an apache to share your files in the net as well as in network.

Leave a comment:

• sabret00the
    replied
    help

Leave a comment:

• sabret00the
    started a topic advice/suggestions

advice/suggestions

hi, i wondered if i could bother you all for some help, i haven't got much knowledge in this field although it's something i seem to need at the moment.

basically i was wondering if you could make me some suggestions on hardware/software/retailers

ok first off, i'm in need of a server, the server will be based in an office and will be used to share/serve files (Word Documents, Spreadsheets, etc) as well as serve the internet connection, i also need to make sure that the afforementioned files can be remotely accessed off-site. so i guess my first question would be what sort of/what server should i go for? and what sort of configuration am i looking for?

the second part is really software based, i would like to run on the above server a database for tracking members, liason with said members and all related information, this will also need to be remotely accessed and i would like to have as simple an interface as possible, as not everyone in the office is very computer literate, especially when it comes to collating, searching through and printing the information that will be stored. so i'm wondering if you could recommend some software that would cater to my needs.

sorry for the really scarce information, i'm at work and all my notes concerning this are at home. but i would really appreciate the information.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X