X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpeedStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by JustAskJulie
    Perhaps I'm just a bit to untrusting, but I can't see having anyone short of a spouse that I would trust to that point (and I wouldn't have even given my ex spouse that kind of ability). I will be interested to see in Vb3 tho the possibilities of only giving out access to certain features... I guess that too depends a lot on how it works.
    If you are comfortable running the Administrative features of the website by yourself, then there is NO NEED for you to consider appointing other Administrators. Our 501c3 has two admins (The Presidents of the Organization) and several super moderators. Each person fulfills a certain aspect on the community:

Admin 1: Technical Administrator - The Coder
    Admin 2: Personnel Administrator - Site Manager
    S.Mod 1: Lead Moderator - Managers our Moderators
    S.Mod 2: Security Moderator - Monitors hack sites and vBulletin to prevent malicious attacks
    S.Mod 3: Content Moderator - Oversees the overall quality of the content of our site

Each of our S.Mods do not have access to the admin panel. They simply have the ability to moderate in any section of the board, which is important when our moderators are all asleep, except for one of our insomniacs.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You do know that a super moderator and an admin are two different things correct? Super Moderators do not have access to the control panel by default, you have to specifically allow that.

Leave a comment:

• JustAskJulie
    replied
    Perhaps I'm just a bit to untrusting, but I can't see having anyone short of a spouse that I would trust to that point (and I wouldn't have even given my ex spouse that kind of ability). I will be interested to see in Vb3 tho the possibilities of only giving out access to certain features... I guess that too depends a lot on how it works.

Leave a comment:

• SaN-DeeP
    replied
    Giving access to admin cp to supermods as Wayne Pointed above.
    should be from TRUSTED members only..
    A member from my current forum.
    gained my trust and he is the admin @ my site now

Leave a comment:

• peterska2
    replied
    I only use s.mod for 2 people and have one other admin.

Simple reasoning behind this is that one of my s.mods I gave the access to to allow him to help me with some stuff when I was quite new to vB and I have never revoked the access even though he next to never comes onto the site.

The other s.mod id my boyfreind. I co-admin on his site and he s.mods on mine. Also I dont have any other moderators.

My co-admin is a freind that I have known for just over 12 months and trust implicity.

I have to say though that I only upgraded her from mod to admin because my health has been/is very bad and I needed someone who could look after things for me as there was a point where I didn't even go online hardly for a whole month. The reason it was my freind and not my boyfreind that I gave the admin access to is because I have been in and out of hosptial and so whenI have been in he has been with me and too diustracted to be worrying about the running of the site.

So far it is working very well and as I was so happy with it I gave my co-admin full access to everything in the ACP except the ability to run queries etc. She doesn't do much in the admin sense but is confident enough to do things if I leave here a note to let her know about something that needs attention and that i haven't been able to do myself.

Leave a comment:

• andrew johnson
    replied
    good idea

Leave a comment:

• SpeedStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by JustAskJulie
    Why would you ever have a super mod that has privileges to your admin panel and can basically destroy your forums at will if they get pissed at you? Why would you ever need to share that access?

I can see having moderators, and even having certain trusted mods who have the ability to mod in every forum, moving and deleting posts as necessary but to allow them to access the admin panel just seems a bit too much for me.

What bothers me even more is when I see people doing this with people they barely know much less people they are friends with and trust (maybe I'm just not the trusting sort but even friendships can go sour... especially online ones).

So at what point does your forum get so big or you get so lazy that you feel the need to share your admin access and allow someone else to do everything that you can do yourself, instead of just doing it yourself?
    I think the point of Super Moderators is to grant extreme access only to people you trust. A Super Moderator should not just be someone you promote for being a good moderator.

Imagine you run a business. You aren't going to give all of your employees access to critical documentation just for being good employees. You give them that sort of access when they become Vice-Presidents, or are making very important and critical business decisions.

Point being: Only use the Super Moderator position if you absolutely have to.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by sabret00the
    i set up a supermod cp on my other forums, as i needed them to take care of some things i couldn't be bothered too, not sure if i'll do the same on vb3 when i go live with it.
    vBulletin 3 makes this easier since you can give them access to certain areas like have a person in charge of styles and that is all they have access to and another in charge of membership and they have access to that and so forth.

Leave a comment:

• sabret00the
    replied
    i set up a supermod cp on my other forums, as i needed them to take care of some things i couldn't be bothered too, not sure if i'll do the same on vb3 when i go live with it.

Leave a comment:

• InSite
    replied
    All comes down to trust. At first, I wouldnt allow anyone access to my server / admin / anything - they all had to go through me. Then when the site got too big for me to cope, and I'd known a few people for several years, I made some of them admins (4 - 5 in total), and even gave some root access to the server.

Luckily I picked the right people, and they certainly made my job easier, and never intentionally or accidentally broke anything. I must stress though, that I knew them all very well, or I would never have risked it.

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    Super Mods, through my understanding, only have the ability to moderate all forums (by default). Its the people who change them to have the ability to access the administration panel that give Super Mods that ability.

I'd say the time to give others Administrative access to your forums would be whe it gets too big for one person to handle. Theres no set number perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I never give super moderators any kind of access to the Admin Control Panel. Period.

IN the four years of managing communities, only one person has ever earned my trust to be promoted to Administrator and gain access to the Admin Control Panel. Currently she is the community director over at Sitepoint.com still.

Leave a comment:

• andrew johnson
    replied
    there be settings
    if superadmin tries access to ACP
    Code:
     sorry you not allowed to enter admin control panel
    this means he.she can't edit forums

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I set it only so that mods/supermods can only move, not prune

Leave a comment:

• JustAskJulie
    started a topic Why Super mods?

Why Super mods?

Why would you ever have a super mod that has privileges to your admin panel and can basically destroy your forums at will if they get pissed at you? Why would you ever need to share that access?

I can see having moderators, and even having certain trusted mods who have the ability to mod in every forum, moving and deleting posts as necessary but to allow them to access the admin panel just seems a bit too much for me.

What bothers me even more is when I see people doing this with people they barely know much less people they are friends with and trust (maybe I'm just not the trusting sort but even friendships can go sour... especially online ones).

So at what point does your forum get so big or you get so lazy that you feel the need to share your admin access and allow someone else to do everything that you can do yourself, instead of just doing it yourself?