Microsoft's Bob Muglia on Longhorn plans, company road map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's Bob Muglia on Longhorn plans, company road map

When is Longhorn going to come out? 2006 is the earliest time frame we're looking at for Longhorn. The thing to realize about it, though ... there's a lot of features coming in Longhorn. We want to make sure that those all fit together in a cohesive way and solve customer issues. We spent a ton of time over this last year or so on how we can make our existing systems more secure and robust. So all that benefit is going to transition into Longhorn as well. Teams are working pretty hard on all of those pieces.

http://www.computerworld.com/softwar...,91311,00.html
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

No-one will know till late spring,, probably 2007..
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
      No-one will know till late spring,, probably 2007..
      Are rumours true that Longhorn will be amazingly faster...like beyond fast? I am clued out about Longhorn, just heard rumours.

Comment

if it's due out 2006/2007 then it will probably be amazing fast on the (average) machine for around that time (which will probably be, what? 5 - 10 GHz? and several gigs of memory going by current technological updates)

Comment

Originally posted by nebby
          if it's due out 2006/2007 then it will probably be amazing fast on the (average) machine for around that time (which will probably be, what? 5 - 10 GHz? and several gigs of memory going by current technological updates)
          So win95 will blaze on 1 of them machines

Comment

Originally posted by kur1j
            So win95 will blaze on 1 of them machines
            Kinda makes me depressed I spent 2000$ on my current machine, to see that there will be such an increase and then me having to pay another 2000$ :S

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
              Are rumours true that Longhorn will be amazingly faster...like beyond fast? I am clued out about Longhorn, just heard rumours.
              Thats the goal, it definately will not be slower, the main features right now are NTFS on top of WinFS, then possible the removal of NTFS, IPv6 and many more feature that havent been confirmed.
              But there is going to be a server release of longhorn, so that is forcing the interim WIndows XP Reloaded release.

You may likely see the longhorn client release before Longhorn server in 2006, but that all depends when XP Reloaded RTM's
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Ugh, somehow I doubt that... how's about heat and power consumption for a 10GHz CPU?

Comment

Alot of expectations have been set for Longhorn, time will tell. I expect it to be extremely fast from their new technology they are using to render those desktops.

Comment

No one should believe MS's Timetabls. Changing them for them is like changing car oil.
                    You Don't Need a Reason to Help People

Comment

Originally posted by Marco
                      Ugh, somehow I doubt that... how's about heat and power consumption for a 10GHz CPU?
                      In 1980, people would have said the same thing about 1GHz processors

Comment

In 1980, people would have said the same thing about 1GHz processors
                        It took 20 years for that to happen... which on second thought is probably how long it will take M$ to get longhorn out.
                        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

10GHZ by 2006/2007 seems very likely at the current rate, wasn't to long ago when having a 2GHZ CPU was top of the range
                          Unlike most, I don't think I'm always right, if I'm wrong, CORRECT me.... providing you have some evidence

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X