Jelsoft's next competitor, Microsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sloth
    ...Wrong. Microsoft runs more web servers than any other operating system. Linux/Unix have more hosted sites, not boxes.
    Yeah, because you generally need 5-10 times as much Windows servers for something that 1 UNIX server can take care of on its own.

Not much of an argument...

Comment

OH GOOD LORD!

HTML Code:
      <h3><font face="arial"><font color="#008000">Free</font>TextBox</font></h3><p>type here...</p>
      Remind me to never say anything positive about their WYSIWYG thing again... *sighs*

To all Microsoft-defenders: you're defending a company wherein a team of great programmers works hard on helping out the W3C to create good, solid internet Standards... but the rest of the entire company couldn't care less about those standards, and give them all a big "F**k you!" and just do whatever the hell they want to, oblivious to the noble goals of the first team.

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
        OH GOOD LORD!

HTML Code:
        <h3><font face="arial"><font color="#008000">Free</font>TextBox</font></h3><p>type here...</p>
        Remind me to never say anything positive about their WYSIWYG thing again... *sighs*

To all Microsoft-defenders: you're defending a company wherein a team of great programmers works hard on helping out the W3C to create good, solid internet Standards... but the rest of the entire company couldn't care less about those standards, and give them all a big "F**k you!" and just do whatever the hell they want to, oblivious to the noble goals of the first team.
        Wow... such venom. You'd think this was life or death stuff here.

Comment

Microsoft has no interest in going that deep into forum development.

They just use them as a touch base medium, and dont want to endorse another companys product, such as vbulletin or invision etc..
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten
            Wow... such venom. You'd think this was life or death stuff here.
            I judge professional corporations / companies / teams by their professionality. Seems like the logical way to go about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
              Microsoft has no interest in going that deep into forum development.

They just use them as a touch base medium, and dont want to endorse another companys product, such as vbulletin or invision etc..
              you can't assume.
              What they plan
              TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
                OH GOOD LORD!

HTML Code:

what team within microsoft works towards standardizing products? that was all i could get out of that post, it was a little harsh side and thus everything else flew right over my head, what were you trying to say exactly? (not being rude or anything just interested in what point you were making without all the reading between the lines and sarcasm)

Comment

Originally posted by sabret00the
                  what team within microsoft works towards standardizing products? that was all i could get out of that post, it was a little harsh side and thus everything else flew right over my head, what were you trying to say exactly? (not being rude or anything just interested in what point you were making without all the reading between the lines and sarcasm)
                  Microsoft has several developers working within the W3C (a familiar name I'll assume) to develop and improve the Internet Standards (for, for instance, XHTML, CSS, etc.)

They helped develop CSS recommendations in several excellent ways. However, the developers of Internet Explorer, still the very same company, have NOT implemented many of these same recommendations (Standards) in the browser. IE6 for instance still has NO XHTML-support, NO full CSS1- and CSS2-support (even though Microsoft claims that it does), etc.

Comment

heh, totally offtopic then

until MS kill-off/revamp IE you can't expect them to work on it.

Comment

• not Totally off-topic, as it went:

ASP.NET forums -> those forums' WYSIWYG editor -> that editor's HTML output -> that output being another great example of Microsoft's way of dealing with the Standards that they themselves helped create.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faruk
                        Not really true.

My main concern with Microsoft is the fact that they lie too much. They make TONS of claims to draw in crowds, but half the time it's just not true.

I use Windows myself, true enough, but not so much by choice rather than by necessity. I'd be using Debian -> ion if I could, but I have to use Photoshop a lot (we don't have Crossover, but it may be worth trying that now that it seems to be worthwhile), and additionally, playing PC games (for personal entertainment but also for reviewing them) on linux is too troublesome / impossible in most cases. Very regrettable, for me, because I've grown quite tired of Windows' lack of efficiency, stability and reliability. Alas...
                        Windows is stable and reliable as long as your hardware is (unless you're running 9x). As for performance, it performs pretty well. I can actually recommend a few NT tweaks that can give a significant boost Windows XP's performance (faster boot, faster application loads, faster shut down).

Faruk, btw, I asked the developers to make their HTML XHTML 1.0 Transitional compliant and they are making everything valid that isn't generated by ASP.NET. I'll get them on how the HTML is used later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                          Windows is stable and reliable as long as your hardware is (unless you're running 9x). As for performance, it performs pretty well. I can actually recommend a few NT tweaks that can give a significant boost Windows XP's performance (faster boot, faster application loads, faster shut down).

Faruk, btw, I asked the developers to make their HTML XHTML 1.0 Transitional compliant and they are making everything valid that isn't generated by ASP.NET. I'll get them on how the HTML is used later.
                          Windows XP is not really that stable and reliable in my experience. Even with brand new hardware that we couldn't find anything wrong with, winXP would sometimes massively hog resources, crash, mess things up, etc.
                          It can be stable as hell, but in my experience Win2K is still far more stable. Maybe I'm doing "unusual" things, but even those shouldn't kill Windows XP so badly, if you ask me.
                          But, like I said, I'll admit that XP can be incredibly stable... for a Windows OS anyway... *cough* (sorry, I was just reminded of that Bash.org quote ^_^)

And as for the HTML / XHTML stuff: excellent, I can only encourage that. It's not that I'm happy about MS / IE being so incredibly crap when it comes to the Internet Standards, nor do I like them to be or stay that way. If I could have my say, IE7 (the Longhorn one) would be just as good as Mozilla and Opera with XHTML, CSS (1, 2, 2.1 and 3) and XML. It would solve a lot of my frustrations, plus, all the Standards-compliant webdevelopers in the world would finally be happy about Microsoft and be able to focus more on creating innovation, rather than filling their blogs about IE-issue 198274687532178...

Anyhoo, keep up that good work

Comment

• I'm a student, I don't work for Microsoft. I asked them as a Microsoft customer to make their software standards compliant and I'll pester them as a customer on how they use HTML later. lol

Comment

• the age of IE is dead, unless they start churning out builds like Moz/FF/Opera/etc they've got no hope of competing and if they wait until the longhorn release IE will be an alternative.

basically Mr Gates knows he ****ed up by not being so hands on, he would've made sure that IE couldn't load www.mozilla.org lol

Comment

• While IE may be dead from a developers PoV, it's still used by 98% of the common market, and while that number will only shrink from now on, it's unlikely that it'll be below 50% by the time Longhorn is out, unless some really serious issues arise..

Comment

Working...
                                X