Jelsoft's next competitor, Microsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
    I still don't get why people think Linux is 100% free. At the very least you have to purchase a SCO license and then spend loads of time and money troubleshooting problems due to the higher TCO.
    *grins*

Funny, but not exactly useful, cos there's no validity

Comment

Originally posted by merk
      Linux might be "free" in your eyes for that situation, but a webhost doesnt just download an ISO of linux and install it on your webbox!!

They pay support costs just like a windows hosting provider does.
      Dude, I work at a webhost, and no, we don't.

Unless you count paying out the salary of our own sysadmin as "paying for support"...

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
        Dude, I work at a webhost, and no, we don't.

Unless you count paying out the salary of our own sysadmin as "paying for support"...
        Well you might be one of the few that doesnt, most i have come across do.

Comment

Jelsoft will blow the competitors away...

I have a feeling Jelsoft will keep up with the changes in industry standard for forum/board software and will blow the competition away as it has time and time before.

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
            http://forums.asp.net/Forums/

Considering that development of ASP.NET Forums 2.0 is coming along very nicely, does anyone think that Microsoft could be Jelsoft's next competitor?
            Ugh.. I always feel so dirty after visiting a microsoft site.

So many free alternatives out there.. who would want to spend the money needed to get something like that running.. hmm.. even with the ongoing costs of owning vB its not worth having to shell out for all of MS's crap like IIS, Winblows and SQL server..

I need to take a bath now.. ick.

Comment

Cool. I hope they work on the skind. Knowing MS, it will look good.

The comments about how MS sucks, etc is pretty annoying and ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by ogden2k
                Cool. I hope they work on the skind. Knowing MS, it will look good.

The comments about how MS sucks, etc is pretty annoying and ignorant.
                Well, it's understandable though. Microsoft has rarely ever developed something good themselves. They've been marketting geniuses since the beginning, and bought most of all their products from some other company (after which they continued development on them, more often than not on a lesser level of quality than the original creators), and rarely did they ever come up with something good all on their own.

Pair that with the frustration that Windows generally provides, and you can't blame people for having a dislike of Microsoft

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
                  Well, it's understandable though. Microsoft has rarely ever developed something good themselves. They've been marketting geniuses since the beginning, and bought most of all their products from some other company (after which they continued development on them, more often than not on a lesser level of quality than the original creators), and rarely did they ever come up with something good all on their own.

Pair that with the frustration that Windows generally provides, and you can't blame people for having a dislike of Microsoft
                  I'll bite. Who did they get the NT kernel from? How about NTFS? Who developed SQL Server? Visual Studio? .Net framework? The list goes on.

Faruk, what is your primary OS? The OS you have installed on your primary box and the one you use everyday?
                  Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

So the lesson here today folks is to unconditionally love whoever is #1, because they can do no wrong

Anybody who doesn't like the #1 obviously doesn't like them only because they're #1, and they need to be stoned to oblivion!

</sarcasm>

Seriously, I get annoyed too by people who dislike MS just for the sake of disliking them, but I get equally annoyed by the people who think MS is the holy grail of the computer industry just because they're #1 and think they're "perfect" (because hey, they must have been to be able to get to #1, right?) and think that anybody who doesn't like them must obviously be because of MS's #1 position alone. Both sides are ignorant, which IMO "many people fail to admit".
                    Last edited by MasterMac; Thu 18th Mar '04, 12:43pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Gordon
                      I don't think Microsoft is going to be in direct competition since ASP.NET cost money and it needs to be run on a windows server, which again costs extra money for those who don't have windows server. Most of the servers on the internet are UNIX and Linux, Windows makes up a smaller portion of the market, besides, I would imagine it might cost money too, so...
                      ...Wrong. Microsoft runs more web servers than any other operating system. Linux/Unix have more hosted sites, not boxes. Also as stated above, ASP.NET is free to Windows users - is this not good for our pockets and great innovation from MS? Fair's fair.

I think this is a welcome and credible second technology option and am keen to track it's progress - but right now it's nowhere near as polished as VBulletin.
                      Last edited by sloth; Thu 18th Mar '04, 12:50pm.

Comment

vBulletin RULES...

vBulletin ALL THE WAY!!!

vB is THE best forum software out there...
                        Let the flames begin.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
                          I'll bite. Who did they get the NT kernel from? How about NTFS? Who developed SQL Server? Visual Studio? .Net framework? The list goes on.

Faruk, what is your primary OS? The OS you have installed on your primary box and the one you use everyday?
                          What about minesweeper?!?!

Last time i checked, most of the office suite is theres, word, excel, powerpoint, access, infopath, onenote, outlook, etc.

Visio has been developed better than the previous company did.

Though it still needs a few more versions

Comment

Originally posted by sloth
                            ...Wrong. Microsoft runs more web servers than any other operating system.
                            Comes as a big surprise to me.. most of the gurus I know agree that Linux is the industry standard... you got a source to back that up?

As far as that ASP forum goes, it's just another drop in the bucket. Jelsoft happen to own half the water in that bucket so who cares? It doesn't appear to be as feature-rich as vBulletin, neither does it appear to have a particularly large userbase. (that might change though)

I don't think it's a threat to Jelsoft -- if this software takes off, it'll just fill a niche market. vB is the industry standard and it will take a lot to change that.
                            Matt
                            Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                            Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

um, they will never be much of a competitor - they are both going after the same type of clients, but not the same clients - some use Windows Servers, some use Linux servers. Though the Windows servers customers can be a vBulletin customer, its rather not as easy the other way around.

Comment

I have been using vBulletin almost from day one, I was a moderator on the old footballboards.com --> fanhome --> insiders/fanhome now and that was the talk of the UBB diehard back then. Sounds the same. I became more than a glorified free worker on a vBulletin Forum around vB 1.1 and knew then that the product would go to the top, as did everbody else (though james I am sure would shake his head no at that ) - but it was said even then, and is as true now as it was then, vBulletin will be on top for as long as it is on top - which is until the next hot (and probably better) thing comes along.

Will it borrow a lot from vBulletin if/when it happens - yea - there is only so many ways to do a forum. You take out everything of vBulletin that was based on UBB - and you will have a hard time finding much left (talkling front end here - not under the hood)

Comment

Working...
                                X