Jelsoft's next competitor, Microsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Gordon
    I don't think Microsoft is going to be in direct competition since ASP.NET cost money and it needs to be run on a windows server, which again costs extra money for those who don't have windows server. Most of the servers on the internet are UNIX and Linux, Windows makes up a smaller portion of the market, besides, I would imagine it might cost money too, so...
    I definitely agree with those thoughts.

Users with *nix servers: the only thing that they _have_ paid for is a vB license. And any extra costs are slim to none, depending on what you are doing exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by ceska
      I definitely agree with those thoughts.

Users with *nix servers: the only thing that they _have_ paid for is a vB license. And any extra costs are slim to none, depending on what you are doing exactly.
      if you read the thread, you'd know MS are going to cater for the unix market

Comment

Mono can cater to the Linux market.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
          Mono can cater to the Linux market.
          "Mono as it currently stands has serious problems, including strategic and intellectual property concerns. Java as provided by Sun is not open source or GPL-compatible and thus a nonstarter. "

http://ometer.com/desktop-language.html

Interesting perspectives on the topic.

Comment

I run XP on my home machine, but wouldn't put a Windows box on the internet for all the world.

And I am a Microsoft Liaison. Heh.

BTW, MSDE is "desktop edition" not "developer edition". In addition to its size limitations, it has no interface, and does not come with SQL management tools. You can, however, purchase MS SQL developer upgrade and take the tools off of it and load them. It is not a good choice for forum software, IMO.

:
            L'chaim

Comment

Oops, I thought it was the developer edition. Anyway, most forums never reach 2GB in size nor do they have 1000 simultaneous connections so it is good for forum software.

Comment

I've come to terms that Microsoft has its flaws, but it is a company that people love to hate. So people always seems to be picking on their flagship products.

But when it comes around to Linux/Unix and people finding security holes, they hit them just as hard (if not harder).
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  I've come to terms that Microsoft has its flaws, but it is a company that people love to hate. So people always seems to be picking on their flagship products.

But when it comes around to Linux/Unix and people finding security holes, they hit them just as hard (if not harder).
                  Anyone in the #1 spot gets slagged. If Redhat was the top product (for example) at this point in time, there would be people attacking it.

Comment

I think it falls along the lines of what AWS, "It is designed to be an enterprise application." Microsoft is often times in it for the money, pride, and huge enterprises. The software wasn't designed for phpBB, IPB, and vB users who are looking for a community, it is desinged for companies who need business solutions.
                    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                      Anyone in the #1 spot gets slagged. If Redhat was the top product (for example) at this point in time, there would be people attacking it.
                      100% correct, but most people fail to admit that.
                      Webmaster / Administrator
                      www.MegaGames.com
                      www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                        In every market there is competition. This is healthy and not a threat.
                        My thoughts precisely.

Competition is a good thing, from the customers perspective... choice of product. From the developers perspective, competitive spirit, drive to set more standards etc.

It all makes for a better product at the end of the day, and I would bet vbulletin will always do a better job of that than any MS solution.

<antiMS>Hell, all MS really has going for them is marketing potential. </antiMS>

Comment

I still don't get why people think that it's 100% free. At the very least you'll need to purchase a windows server license, as a webhost. It's up to the host to relay parts of those costs to the clients or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                            I think it falls along the lines of what AWS, "It is designed to be an enterprise application." Microsoft is often times in it for the money, pride, and huge enterprises. The software wasn't designed for phpBB, IPB, and vB users who are looking for a community, it is desinged for companies who need business solutions.
                            i agree. It will be used my ENTERPRISES..
                            no benefits for small users.. even boards with 1000+ users wont find it useful

But. it is MICROSOFT,, they can change it to there next mini version.. which support small no. of users too
                            TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                              vBulletin is made for bussinesses and corporations as well.

Originally posted by Faruk
                              I still don't get why people think that it's 100% free. At the very least you'll need to purchase a windows server license, as a webhost. It's up to the host to relay parts of those costs to the clients or not.
                              I still don't get why people think Linux is 100% free. At the very least you have to purchase a SCO license and then spend loads of time and money troubleshooting problems due to the higher TCO.

Originally posted by SaN-DeeP
                              i agree. It will be used my ENTERPRISES..
                              no benefits for small users.. even boards with 1000+ users wont find it useful

But. it is MICROSOFT,, they can change it to there next mini version.. which support small no. of users too
                              ASP.NET forums can be both big and small.

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
                                Linux might be "free" in your eyes for that situation, but a webhost doesnt just download an ISO of linux and install it on your webbox!!

They pay support costs just like a windows hosting provider does.

Comment

Working...
                                X