No announcement yet.

Jelsoft's next competitor, Microsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks pretty nice actually, though as long as it stays in the ASP environment, it can't threaten vBulletin.
    - JavaScript Kit | CSS Drive | CodingForums.com | CodeTricks.com

Comment

and it can be added to IIS5 by just downloading and installing it. It doesn't cost anything extra.

Comment

Looks like crap to me. vBulletin will always be the top, unless IB totally pulls something out of their ass.

Comment

ASP.NET most definitely costs more money than a LAMP configuration.

It may not cost you money, but your webhost will have to purchase licenses and what not, and those are definitely not as free as Debian, Apache, MySQL and PHP.

As for that forum: oh good god! it's ugly as all hell, poorly HTML'd (it's about the worst HTML I've ever seen for any forum - no doctype, not XHTML transitional, not even HTML 4.01 transitional...), and just rieks of poo.
          I think Microsoft still have a ton to learn before they'll be a competitor for vBulletin. The only edge they have, and will probably remain to have, is the fact that they can cater to all the ASP-driven websites, unlike vBulletin in its current state.

Comment

alll they need is a few importers and to roll it out free with their server packages and they'll no doubt take a chunk of the market whether it's any good or not.

Comment

In every market there is competition. This is healthy and not a threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday
                That forum looks damn ugly. Ugh.

Besides, I'm no programmer, but everything I've ever used that's used ASP has been clumsy, buggy, and slow. Which just about sums MS up I suppose.
                ASP is a scripting language similiar to PHP. ASP.NET is a compiled framework. There is a huge difference and ASP.NET far surpasses PHP.

Originally posted by Billy Cowen
                *Wonders when Microsoft offers to buy Jelsoft*
                I doubt they are interested as they already have pretty good forum software to begin with and it is being actively developed by 2 developers.

Edit: I seem to have miscounted the amount of devs. I've seen 3 at their forums so far.

Originally posted by Chris Stewart
                Knowing ASP.NET like I do, I would be willing to bet their using the hell out of the caching features .NET offers. That certainly would speed up a website.

It's about time they started to work on their forums more. The first generation was just plain terrible.
                First generation was to get something out the door. Second generation is to get it up to par with everything else.

Originally posted by SilentBlade
                Looks like crap to me. vBulletin will always be the top, unless IB totally pulls something out of their ass.
                Netscape was on top, look at what MS did to them.

Originally posted by KuraFire
                ASP.NET most definitely costs more money than a LAMP configuration.

It may not cost you money, but your webhost will have to purchase licenses and what not, and those are definitely not as free as Debian, Apache, MySQL and PHP.

As for that forum: oh good god! it's ugly as all hell, poorly HTML'd (it's about the worst HTML I've ever seen for any forum - no doctype, not XHTML transitional, not even HTML 4.01 transitional...), and just rieks of poo.
                I think Microsoft still have a ton to learn before they'll be a competitor for vBulletin. The only edge they have, and will probably remain to have, is the fact that they can cater to all the ASP-driven websites, unlike vBulletin in its current state.
                Like vBulletin this is for a corporation. However, there is always mono and the free developer edition of MS SQL server.

Originally posted by Floris
                In every market there is competition. This is healthy and not a threat.
                Jelsoft basically has a monopoly over the small bussiness and enterprise sectors...
                Last edited by Shining Arcanine; Wed 17th Mar '04, 1:57am.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                  Like vBulletin this is for a corporation. However, there is always mono and the free developer edition of MS SQL server.
                  I've yet to see the first webhost provide ASP.NET + MS SQL without having paid for it. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to make massive commercial uses of those free developer editions.

Comment

I've yet to see the first webhost provide ASP.NET + MS SQL without having paid for it. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to make massive commercial uses of those free developer editions.
                    And most hosts pay royalties to their OS vendors for the support contracts.

My EV1 server was definatly paid for too. (in more ways than one but lets leave that to slashdot to flame )

Comment

ASP.NET is free. MS SQL requires purchasing. The developer edition is a limited version of MS SQL, it is single threaded, supports databases up to 2GB, and only supports 1000 connections simultaneously tops. However, it will work for a live site if your site meets those maximum requirements.

Comment

Oh my god. It looks like a vB, IPB and phpBB Clone.

Anyone else noticed that it uses images that look similar to other software's images?
                        Compare their 'newTopic' button to IPB's and you'll see what i mean

Back to topic: I think this software won't be a tread at all. It may offer some nice features (read: copied features ) but it's still a microsoft product. Don't get me wrong, iam on XP myself and i know ms does a good job but after all those security problems in windows (xp) i don't trust that software
                        And ms is a large company and the software might be expensive and (as said before) only suitable for larger communities.
                        That's the end of that!

Comment

i think the biggest question will be what market are they going for?

Comment

i can assume that to be a problem/competitor to JELSOFT in future.
                            MS has already A HUGE RANGE OF SERIVCES, mobile services, messenger services. there are tons of ways for them to integrate this into there new forums.
                            Inclusion or a mix of those services alongwith there new forums will give tremendous/excellent features to the users.

MS has a large community of developers as compared to Jelsoft that can be easily seen on there technet or newsgroups.

There WYSYING editor seems better.

Cons.
                            Those forums require Windows hosting and MS SQL Server, which is way too costly for small forums or public forums. hence, thats a drawback.

tHERE are very new to the market, hence will take time to FLOURISH. VBB needs to come up with some nice things to the current boards if wanna stay in competition.

Side news -> INVISION POWER FORUMS 2.0 is about to get released thiis week. they have all the features almost. of vbb 3.0 gold. and morever they offer it for free.
                            there community is going big enough due to open source software reasons.

there are already TONS of hacks MADE and in production..
                            Morever, there paid technical support has increased much better in recent times

Jelsoft, needs to get ACTIVE asap.. or they mite start in loss.
                            Thats just a guess.

But nice place to discuss about the FUTURE OF our vbb

Regards,
                            Sandy...
                            TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

IPB is not open source. Like vB it is view source. And if you look, there are already over 100 hacks for vB3, and 99% of them will work on vB3 Gold, which is to be released late this week (I heard Friday).

EDIT: And the first beta of IPB 2.0 won't even have an upgrade script from 1.3.

Comment

i must say though, as san-deep said, their WYSIWYG editor is very sexy.

Comment

Working...
                                X