Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jelsoft's next competitor, Microsoft?

http://forums.asp.net/Forums/

Considering that development of ASP.NET Forums 2.0 is coming along very nicely, does anyone think that Microsoft could be Jelsoft's next competitor?
    Yes
    26.24%
    No
    54.61%
    Who is Microsoft?
    16.31%
    Who is Jelsoft?
    2.84%

Dunno, funny it looks like vB3 hit phpbb in a head on collision.

Comment

i cant beleive how fast they are.

Comment

My guess is its on a very powerfull server as the way MS tends to do things

Comment

Those 'rating' placements look awfully simular.
          Shane
          CIO, FrakMedia.net
          Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            My guess is its on a very powerfull server as the way MS tends to do things
            That and the fact that ASP.NET is much faster than PHP.

Originally posted by Shane
            Those 'rating' placements look awfully simular.
            It seems pretty much all of the features are being added by request. Someone probably suggested it and pointed to a vBulletin as and example.

Comment

I don't think Microsoft is going to be in direct competition since ASP.NET cost money and it needs to be run on a windows server, which again costs extra money for those who don't have windows server. Most of the servers on the internet are UNIX and Linux, Windows makes up a smaller portion of the market, besides, I would imagine it might cost money too, so...
              Ian Gordon
              Ian Gordon Online
              http://www.iangordon.us
              PHP / MySQL / XHTML Programmer

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                http://forums.asp.net/Forums/

Considering that development of ASP.NET Forums 2.0 is coming along very nicely, does anyone think that Microsoft could be Jelsoft's next competitor?
                Nah, PHP and MySQL are better.

Comment

Only time will tell if it will play a big roll in the forum industry, however it seems to be doing what Microsoft does best... cloning features
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

That forum looks damn ugly. Ugh.

Besides, I'm no programmer, but everything I've ever used that's used ASP has been clumsy, buggy, and slow. Which just about sums MS up I suppose.

Comment

*Wonders when Microsoft offers to buy Jelsoft*

Comment

Knowing ASP.NET like I do, I would be willing to bet their using the hell out of the caching features .NET offers. That certainly would speed up a website.

It's about time they started to work on their forums more. The first generation was just plain terrible.
                        Console Racing Review

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                          Only time will tell if it will play a big roll in the forum industry, however it seems to be doing what Microsoft does best... cloning features
                          Even though I am using Internet Explore to surf the web, I would have to agree with you there Josh.
                          Shane
                          CIO, FrakMedia.net
                          Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                            Cloning? Lol, yeah this would be the same thing that everyone else does too.
                            Point is?
                            Webmaster / Administrator
                            www.MegaGames.com
                            www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Gordon
                              I don't think Microsoft is going to be in direct competition since ASP.NET cost money and it needs to be run on a windows server, which again costs extra money for those who don't have windows server. Most of the servers on the internet are UNIX and Linux, Windows makes up a smaller portion of the market, besides, I would imagine it might cost money too, so...
                              Where does this "it costs money" mentality come from?

ASP.NET is built into the IIS6 server. How can it possibly cost more money than windows does itself?

Comment

Working...
                              X