RAM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM question

Hi, i have 2x 512mb Crucial PC2100 DDR266 RAM in my home machine, i'd like to add another 512mb stick, but does anyone know if it has to be the same speed? I'd like to get a PC2700 DDR333 stick if possible.

Thanks in advance.

It is adviced to avoid page errors by keeping it the same speeds, but .. if your motherboard supports the pc2700, and even in combination with pc2100/pc2700 - then you should be fine. Check their techn. manual or contact them with a support ticket

Comment

Even if it works in your system, the RAM speed will only be as fast as your slowest stick of RAM. You will not see any advantages in speed or performance and given the fact that your next PC will most likely support higher speeds, purchasing PC2700 RAM isn't really a investment.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I agree with Wayne, however.
        My other system only supported two types of ram speed and I purchased the latest because it was better in performance and cheaper in price for the 512mb sticks.

I especially took that deal because I knew I'd be upgrading to another motherboard and processor that supported this new ram too - but not the older ram. So in that situation, it was a good investment

Comment

Well PC2100 and PC2700 are both the same price on Ebuyer (well almost)
          so i may as well get PC2700.

Comment

They should work as long as their SPD timings are the same.

I recently bought a 512 meg stick of pc4000 ram, tried it out with my old 2*256 sticks of pc3200 and encountered some pretty bad problems because the sticks had different SPD latency settings.
            I ended up selling the old sticks and getting yet another 512 stick of pc4000.

Comment

Wont be a problem,, just dont expect that you will be able to overclock any higher (If you are overclocking) , than you would if you have 2 sticks of DDR - PC2100
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by HostOrbit
                Hi, i have 2x 512mb Crucial PC2100 DDR266 RAM in my home machine, i'd like to add another 512mb stick, but does anyone know if it has to be the same speed? I'd like to get a PC2700 DDR333 stick if possible.

Thanks in advance.
                should be no prob if you run all 3 of them at PC2100 (lowest speed of all sticks)

as Asendin stated, 3 sticks may reduce oc'ing headroom alot and may also introduce instability into your pc/system depending on the motherboard/chipset you're using
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Riddle me this...

I have 2 sticks of 256 DDR400 SDRAM, and 1 stick of 512 DDR333 SDRAM. Currently, I have each of the 256's in each slot so I can have the dual channel action. Now, if I put both 256's in the one side and the 512 in the other, should it work at least at 333 MHz in my P4 system? Its a Abit IC7-G MaxII board. I just would like to be at 1 GB of RAM faster.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                  http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

IC7 ain't that great for 3-4 stick oc'ing .... remember with 3 sticks you loose dual channel mode...

for dual channel mode you need 2 in correct slots or 4 sticks populating all 4 dimm slots

canterwood boards are fastest bandwidth wise when you have 2x 512MB (recommmended) or 4x 256MB (wont work well on IC7 boards)
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I dont overclock. Not directed at eva, but why does everyone assume that everyone overclocks that has a performance oriented board? Not everyone has gobs of money lying around to replace expensive hardware should it get fried or damaged from OCing. </rant>

Anyway, I might consider it if I decide to blow a huge amount of money on 2 DDR400 sticks of 512, and if I for whatever reason need RAM in excess I'll just slap in the 512.

I do appreciate the response, eva, it's just you are probably the thousandth person to ask or mention that, and I had to say something on the milestone number.

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                        IC7 ain't that great for 3-4 stick oc'ing .... remember with 3 sticks you loose dual channel mode...

for dual channel mode you need 2 in correct slots or 4 sticks populating all 4 dimm slots

canterwood boards are fastest bandwidth wise when you have 2x 512MB (recommmended) or 4x 256MB (wont work well on IC7 boards)
                        Eva, I understand that having more than 1GB slightly reduces performance so I am wondering, would having 4GB of RAM (4x1GB modules) give a noticable performance hit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ksilebo
                          I dont overclock. Not directed at eva, but why does everyone assume that everyone overclocks that has a performance oriented board? Not everyone has gobs of money lying around to replace expensive hardware should it get fried or damaged from OCing. </rant>
                          I always wondered the same thing. Personally, with my usage I see no need to overclock my CPU's for a few seconds of time savings.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            I always wondered the same thing. Personally, with my usage I see no need to overclock my CPU's for a few seconds of time savings.
                            Exactly. Unless you have your proc in liquid nitrogen, you're not going to be able to push the sucker fast enough or dissipate the heat generated to be able to do anything.

Comment

When was the first bike race?

When the second bike was built.

Since the beginning of time man has always endulged in competition. Overclocking is a competition for us geeks, who demand their PC to be king of the hill. I personally do not overclock, unless I want to show off to some friends. The 3.0GHz CPU and 200MHz DDR speed runs fine for what I do. I don't think geeks do it for performance, I think they do it to say "Hey, look at my 2.4 OCed to 3.8 *bling bling*"
                              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X