How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How?

Two years and $800 later I have yet to produce a successful community. I pour my heart and soul into it for that long and in the end nobody cares.

I want nothing more then to run a successful community. I've been nothing but helpful to my members. I paid everything out of my pocket and never asked for a dime from the community. Never put up ads and always tried to spread the word as best I could.

Been an active and constructive member at other communities for years.

Meanwhile other similar sites put up adds, ask for monatary contributions (which they receive) and have flourishing communities.

What am I doing wrong? Do I start paying people to visit and be active? I've come to the point of desperation where that thought has crossed my mind before. Though it's not an affordable thought.

I just can't understand what the problem is. If I'm lucky I get one post a day these days.

How do I build a flourishing community? How did you?
    www.ScapeFilms.com

From looking at your site, there're a number of steps you could do to increase participation in your forums (how much traffic does the site itself get?).

No time to get into it right now (have to leave for work), but think about tying your forum into your content more.

Comment

Sounds kinda like me a little while ago, except I hadn't spent so much money on it. Good luck.

Comment

I would right off email every member and let them know of some of the great things happening on your forums. I did this last night and so far have gotten good results. I plan on doing this at least once a week.

You also have the link to your forums kind of far down on the main page. I would move it up so it is one of the first things people see. When I go to a site, one of the first things I look for is if they have forums. Some people may not know you have them or may have even forgotten about them.
        http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by roxics
          Two years and $800 later I have yet to produce a successful community. I pour my heart and soul into it for that long and in the end nobody cares.

I want nothing more then to run a successful community. I've been nothing but helpful to my members. I paid everything out of my pocket and never asked for a dime from the community. Never put up ads and always tried to spread the word as best I could.

Been an active and constructive member at other communities for years.

Meanwhile other similar sites put up adds, ask for monatary contributions (which they receive) and have flourishing communities.

What am I doing wrong? Do I start paying people to visit and be active? I've come to the point of desperation where that thought has crossed my mind before. Though it's not an affordable thought.

I just can't understand what the problem is. If I'm lucky I get one post a day these days.

How do I build a flourishing community? How did you?
          which your site is losing members?

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. I've had a hell of a cold the last few days.

Originally posted by HexOnxOnx
            I would right off email every member and let them know of some of the great things happening on your forums. I did this last night and so far have gotten good results. I plan on doing this at least once a week.
            I've tried writing emails multiple times but for some reason it's broke. I end up with 675 returned emails out of 700 members mailed. I've even exported the members emails to CSV format and tried a different program for mass emailing. As well as different email accounts. Same thing happens.

The only way for me to get in contact with my members is to post things on the site. If they visit to see them which they don't.

Originally posted by HexOnxOnx
            You also have the link to your forums kind of far down on the main page. I would move it up so it is one of the first things people see. When I go to a site, one of the first things I look for is if they have forums. Some people may not know you have them or may have even forgotten about them.
            This is the first incarnation of the site to have the forum links so low. They used to be the first thing people saw. But from studying the indie film community in general they go after content first. These include articles, ect. Which is why I've been spending a lot of time building the site content itself.

Honestly the indie film community on the internet is a really hard one to impress. Those that stick around on the internet for any period of time flock to one of a few already established forums with an already massive userbase.

My forums have constantly been in the shadow of another site with 29,000 members. Yet the forums there are completely stripped down proprietary ASP software. There is only one forum list and no support for anything we vb users take for granted every day (avatars, hyperlinks, signatures, ect) unless you pay $24 a year in which case you can use HTML to get hyperlinks.

The funniest thing is people actually like this. To all these people there is nothing else. Anything like a vb is too complicated or confusing to use. My personal opinion has been "if you can't use a vb you shouldn't be making films" but I don't ever say that to anyone.

Granted a lot of my membership has come from this large unnamed site which we exist in the shadow of. Some of them have stuck around. Some spent a good amount of time on my site before finding the big unnamed site and never returned. Some have commented to others about what a great site mine is and added links on their websites. But even many of those people don't have memberships or rarely visit let alone post something. They only really support it in theory but not in use.

I usually get at least one new member a day. But only every two weeks or so does one of them post something. It's the strangest thing.

I can't seem to understand why these filmmakers perfer a site so simple as the big unnamed when they use some of the most complex software for editing and 3D rendering out there. It's not like they're dumb. And it's not like my forums are filled with a bunch of kids who don't know what they are talking about. Those of us that do post (or at least did before people moved on) have many years of experience behind us. It baffles me to no end.

I'm considering packing up and switching the site to a completely different interest. But after investing so much time and energy that's a hard thing to do.
            www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

Don't give up yet. I know it is often hard but sometimes it takes a long time, and I mean a long time to get recognized. You might just want to tough it out for a few more months and see what other features you could incoporate into your site.
              Ian Gordon
              Ian Gordon Online
              http://www.iangordon.us
              PHP / MySQL / XHTML Programmer

Comment

How about trying a new look, it's important to have a professional look to attract people to your website.

Comment

Originally posted by 4|205
                  How about trying a new look, it's important to have a professional look to attract people to your website.
                  Not to be disrespectful but this is a new look. I've been told it's professional looking. But it can't look too corporate or it won't attract the creative types it's built for.
                  www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

I get how you feel. I don't run any communities because it is to hard to build up a successful member base these days. If you want some GOLD suggesstions though PM me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X