Google registered on my board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google registered on my board

I'm obviously gonna delete this [edit: url removed since guests cannot browse user profiles on my board], but I first wanted to see if anyone else around here has had the same thing happen. If Google bots are managing to register on forums with GD validation enabled, there's no telling what else is gonna come along and do the same thing next. IP resolves to o1.com (66.81.177.139) so it's not just some random prank user, and the registration email was [email protected].
    Last edited by welo; Mon 15 Mar '04, 10:10am.
    "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
    It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

We cant view your members profile without registering.

As for the user, is it a confirmed member? I cant see google or any engine easily registering.

Comment

Has the account been activated?
      MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Comment

Hmm the google bot must have hit some lucky keys? lol...

Comment

You can assume this is a prankster - googlebots have different ip addresses. You could contact [email protected] and request them to validate the account. A googlebot won't be able to enter the GD numbers (for it has no eyes)

Comment

Originally posted by merk
            We cant view your members profile without registering.
            Ah, sorry, I forgot about that. The board is setup to disallow browsing of user profiles. Floris is probably right though. There was also a user named GoogleBot with an Amsterdam IP.

Comment

Put them in a usergroup that keeps them busy for a while but doesn't show for other members *coverty*

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                Put them in a usergroup that keeps them busy for a while but doesn't show for other members *coverty*
                Heh, actually I went one better, deleted them then added 'google' to the forbidden usernames list. That should do it .

Comment

That technically wouldn't be smart. What happened an actual google employee signs up for your boards?
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I doubt they would use such an ovious username honestly.

Comment

What benefit would they have from using "Name @ Google" as nickname (for instance) anyway? It would be inadvertant advertising (or boasting ) and Google is probably the last to be going around and letting their employees do that...

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                        What happened an actual google employee signs up for your boards?
                        Something tells me Google people have their own preferred forum usernames just like the rest of us .

My biggest concern with this however, was whether or not someone had managed to code GD, ImageMagick or NetPBM in such a manner allowing a bot to read and decipher these GD-generated images. These apps are becoming increasingly powerful, and it's only a matter of time before some innovative spammer figures it out. The "What The Font?" thing they have at MyFonts.com is a good example of what's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by welo
                          IP resolves to o1.com (66.81.177.139) so it's not just some random prank user, and the registration email was [email protected].
                          its actually rev.o1.com, which is a subdomain of O1 Communications

http://www.o1.com/ = 66.81.0.101

web1.o1.com = 66.81.0.101 non-authorative = http://web1.o1.com/ = Plesk Server Admin

66.81.177.139 = host-66-81-177-139-rev.o1.com
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Name: host-66-81-177-139.rev.o1.com

IP Address: 66.81.177.139

Network: Unknown

Registrant:

Option One Communications (O126-DOM)

770 L Street, Suite 960

Sacramento, CA 95814

US

ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

<joke>
                              Personally if a googlebot really did register on my boards I would welcome it with open arms. It would probably only happen once and it would be somewhat of a vip wouldn't it
                              </joke>

Seriously though I doubt your concerns about spiders every being able to break past the image validation mechanisms, I cant see it as being possible.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X